Asked to reset my password
We'll ask you to reset your password any time we detect suspicious activity related to your account. To prevent unauthorized access to your information, please choose a new password before signing in to your account.
Here are some tips to help you create a strong password:
- Make sure your password is at least eight characters in length.
- Combine numbers and letters, and don't include commonly used words.
- Select a word or acronym and insert numbers between some of the letters.
- Include punctuation marks.
- Mix capital and lowercase letters.
For your security, we recommend that you don't reuse passwords associated with your email address or any other type of account. Additionally, if you enter your original password as your new password, you may trigger an error message. Create an entirely new password the next time you sign in.
If you've been prompted to change your password more than once, try clearing your cache and cookies. If that doesn't work, it's possible that something or someone is repeatedly attempting to gain access to your account. Typically, this occurs when a keylogger or other malware is installed on your computer. We strongly recommend scanning any computer you use to access Gmail for malware and updating your anti-virus software.