Use your Android phone's built-in security key
When used as part of 2-Step Verification, security keys offer stronger protection against hackers breaking in to your account with stolen information like passwords or verification codes. In a few minutes, you can set up your compatible Android phone's built-in security key to help you securely sign in on a nearby computer.
To sign in on a computer using your Android phone's built-in security key, you need:
- An Android phone running Android 7.0 or up. Learn how to check and update your Android version.
- A computer that has:
Step 1: Add the security key to your Google Account
- Turn on 2-Step Verification and add a verification method like Google Prompts.
- If you already use 2-Step Verification, you can move on.
- On your Android phone, go to myaccount.google.com/security.
- Under "Signing in to Google," select 2-Step Verification. You might need to sign in.
- Scroll down to "Set up an alternative second step."
- Select Add Security Key Your Android phone Turn on.
Step 2: Use your Android phone's built-in security key
- On your computer, make sure Bluetooth is turned on in your settings or preferences.
- On your computer, sign in to your Google Account with your username and password.
- Check your Android phone for a notification.
- On your Android phone, double-tap the "Are you trying to sign in?" notification.
- Follow the instructions to confirm it’s you signing in.
If you’re having trouble using your Android phone's built-in security key, try these tips.
Bring your devices closer together
For your Android phone's built-in security key to work, it needs to be close to the device you’re trying to sign in on. Try putting your Android phone and the device you're trying to sign in on side by side.
Turn on Bluetooth on both devices
To use your Android phone's built-in security key, turn on Bluetooth in the settings for:
- Your Android phone
- The device you’re trying to sign in on
Turn on Location Services on your Android phone
For Bluetooth to work properly, turn on location settings for your Android phone. After you sign in, you can turn location settings off.
Check the device requirements
Sign in without a security key
You can sign in using other verification methods you’ve set up.
- Sign in to your Google Account with your username and password.
- Under "Verify your identity with google.com," select Cancel Try another way.
- Choose the verification method you’ll use to sign in.
- Follow the instructions on your screen to finish signing in.