Get stronger account security with Advanced Protection
To add an extra layer of security to your account, you can enroll in the Advanced Protection Program. This helps protect you against common ways people hack your account, like getting your emails, documents, contacts, and other personal data.
How Advanced Protection works
To enroll in this program, you’ll need to buy two security keys. Security keys help protect against hackers accessing your account. Learn more about how security keys work.
Security key dongles are small devices you can use to sign in on your computer, phone, or tablet. You can also use the security key built in to a compatible phone to sign in on your computer.
Enroll in Advanced Protection
- You’ll have to sign in on all your devices using the security key.
- You need your security keys only when you sign in for the first time on a computer, browser, or device. After that, you’ll only be asked for your password.
- Note: If you use the security key built in to a compatible phone, you can only use it to sign in on computers.
- To read your email, you can use Gmail. You can also create a code to use the iOS Mail app with your Google Account.
- You won’t be able to use your Google Account with some apps & services that require access to sensitive data like your emails and Google Drive. This way, hackers will have trouble stealing your private information. You can create a code to use some iPhone and iPad apps with your Google Account.
Step 1: Get security keys
Once you enroll, you’ll be prompted to buy two security keys.
You can buy security keys from the Google Store (U.S only), or you can search for fido u2f security key and order from a trusted retailer.
Note: After you've enrolled using two security key dongles, you can also add the built-in security key on a compatible phone to your account.
Step 2: Turn on Advanced Protection
After you have your security keys, register them and enroll in Advanced Protection. You’ll be signed out of all devices except the one you’re on.
Get answers to common questions
Learn more about Advanced Protection, including details about how the program works, how to fix problems, and more.
If you’re waiting for your security keys to arrive, follow these steps to increase your account protection.
- Go to your Google Account.
- On the left navigation panel, click Security.
- On the Signing in to Google panel, remove your phone number to avoid common phishing scams.
- Take the Security Checkup.