Change the email address for your account
In some cases, you can use a different email address (username) to identify your Google Account.
What this email address is
- This email address shows up next to your name and profile photo when you're signed in. To find it, click or tap your profile photo.
- You can sign in with it.
- It's where you get important information about most Google services you use, unless you've added a contact email.
Step 1: Check if you can change it
- Go to your "Google Account email" page in My Account. Sign in if you haven't already.
- Next to your email address, look for Edit . If this option is there, you can change your email address.
- If your account's email address ends in @gmail.com, you usually can't change it.
- If you're using a Google Account through your work, school, or other group, ask your administrator for help.
Step 2: Change it
- Next to your email address, select Edit .
- Enter the new email address for your account. Choose one that isn't already used by another Google Account.
- If you're having trouble, go to the "Get help changing your email address" section.
- Follow the instructions.
- If we let you know that a verification email was sent:
- At the email address you just entered, check for an email from Google. Follow the instructions. If you don't get the email, try ways to fix the problem.
- You'll also get an email from Google at your old email address. You don't need to take any action there.
- To switch from a Gmail address to a non-Gmail address, you need to delete your Gmail address. Learn more about deleting your Gmail address.
- To switch from a non-Gmail address to a Gmail address, add Gmail to your account. Learn how to add Gmail to your account.
- If the email address you want is already an alternate email, remove it there first.
- If you want to sign in with another email address, add it as an alternate email.
- Learn how to check emails from other accounts in Gmail.
- Create a Google Account with a different Gmail address.
Nick is an Accounts expert and the author of this help page. Leave him feedback below about how to improve it.