Adding a phone number to your account
Having a mobile phone number on your account is one of the easiest and most reliable ways to help keep your account safe and ensure that you can get back into your account.Add a recovery phone number to your account
- Sign in to My Account.
- In the "Personal info & privacy" section, select Your personal info.
- Choose Phone.
- If adding a phone number, select Add Recovery Phone.
Or, if editing a phone number, select edit .
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
Your mobile phone is a more secure identification method than your recovery email address or a security question because, unlike the other two, you have physical possession of your mobile phone.
We'll only use your mobile phone number to ensure the security of your account. Here are some ways we'll use it:
- To challenge people when they try to hijack your account
- To send you a verification code so you can get into your account if you ever lose access
- To provide an alternate way for you to verify that you own an account
- To help prevent people from getting into your account by guessing the answer to your security question
- Optional: To alert you to possible threats to your account's security (for example, when your password is changed)
Unless you make a specific request, we won’t use your mobile phone number for anything other than protecting your account. For example, unless you tell us to, we’ll never:
- Sell your phone number to other companies or organizations
- Call you for marketing purposes
- Publish your phone number online
Kaley is on the Accounts support team and author of this help page. Please leave suggestions below on how to improve her article.