Project Activate is a communication app designed for people who are unable to speak or use technology with their hands. With Project Activate, you can send a text message, place a call, speak a phrase, or play an audio file when you make gestures.
Important: Project Activate is only available in English.
Before you start
- The app uses the camera to recognize your expressions and gestures.
- You need a phone plan to make phone calls and send texts. You can still use other Project Activate features without a phone plan.
Set up Project Activate
- Download Project Activate from the Google Play Store.
- Open the Project Activate app, agree on the consent screen, and approve camera access.
- At the top right, tap Settings New Shortcut.
- Choose a gesture you can make comfortably and reliably that will start your message.
- You can pick from many gestures and can adjust the size and sensitivity of each gesture to make sure it’s right for you. Learn how to adjust your gesture settings.
- Select your action.
- Speak a phrase
- Play an audio file
- Send a text message
- Place a phone call
How your data is used
All images used by Project Activate are processed on your device and never saved. Settings and audio files are saved on your device. The only data sent from your device to Google is anonymous usage data.
Get more help
If you need more help, learn how to contact the Google Disability Support team.