On this page
- Sort tasks by date
- Add a recurring task
- Track multi-step tasks with subtasks
- Create separate lists to categorize your tasks
Sort tasks by date
If you add due dates for your tasks, you can easily sort them to see which items are coming due soon. Just sort your tasks by date.
Add a recurring task
If you have a regular, recurring obligation, add a task that repeats. For example, you might need to send out a weekly read-out to your project team, or submit a monthly expense report. You can have a task repeat every day, week, month, or year.
- Go to Gmail, Calendar, Chat, Drive, or a file in Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- On the right, click Tasks .
- Click an existing task or create a new task.
- To add a date and time, click Date/time.
- Next to “Date/time,” click Repeat .
- Under “Repeats every,” select day, week, month, or year.
- Under “Ends,” select an option to create a recurring task:
- With no end date, select Never.
- With a specific end date, select On, then choose a date.
- That ends after a certain number of occurrences, select After, then select a number of occurrences.
- Click OK.
Track multi-step tasks with subtasks
If your task consists of several individual things that need to get done, add subtasks. Your subtasks appear indented beneath the main task, and you can check off each item as you get it done.
Choose an option:
- Right-click a task and select Add a subtask.
- Under the main task, add a new task and press Ctrl + ] (Windows) or Command + ] (Mac).
- Next to the main task, click Edit and in the Add subtasks field, enter a task.
To un-indent a subtask, right-click the subtask and click Unindent. You can also click on the subtask and press Ctrl + [ (Windows) or Command + [ (Mac).
Create separate lists to categorize tasks
In addition to your default task list, you can create and name additional lists to categorize your tasks. For example, you might want to track personal tasks in a separate list from work tasks. Or track tasks from separate projects in their own list.
Create and name a new list
Switch between lists
Move a task between lists
Delete a list
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.