Work with Microsoft Office files
In G Suite, you can still work with Microsoft® Office® files, even if you don't have Office installed.
Add Office files to Drive
- Open Drive.
- Click New File upload.
- Choose the Office file you want to upload.
Open Office files in Drive
Chrome Browser only
- Make sure the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, & Slides extension is not installed:
- Open Chrome Browser and in the top-right corner, click More More ToolsExtensions.
- If you see the Office Editing for Docs, Sheets, & Slides extension, click Remove.
- In Drive, double-click an Office file.
A preview of your file opens.
- At the top, click Open with Google Docs/Sheets/Slides.
You can now edit, share, view version history, collaborate in real-time with others, and more. All changes you make are saved to the original Microsoft Office file.
Convert Office files to Google files
To automatically convert all future uploads of Office files to Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides:
Note: Previously uploaded files will not be converted.
Work in Office and sync files to Drive (Office required)
- If you haven't already, install Drive File Stream on your computer.
This adds your Drive folder to your computer.
- On your computer, add your Office file to your Google Drive folder.
- In Office, click FileOpen and find your Google Drive folder.
- Click your Office file and click Open.
- Edit your file.
Any changes you make to your file in Office sync in Drive.
Comment on Office files
- In Drive, double-click the Office file that you shared.
The file opens in Drive preview.
- Select the text you want to comment.
- Click Add comment .
- Enter your comment. To address it to a specific person, enter + and their email in the comment text. For example: +firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click Comment.
The person can make their changes and reply to your comment.
- When you’re satisfied with the outcome, click Resolve.
- (Optional) To show resolved comments, at the top right, click More Show resolved comments.
Note: To show or hide resolved comments, there must be at least one active comment and one resolved comment.