Schedule one-time activities, such as conferences, as well as recurring events, such as staff meetings. Let everyone know if you’re attending with a single click from the event invitation
In this section:
Join a meeting from a Calendar event or invitation
- In Calendar, choose an option:
- Click an empty time slot in the calendar grid.
- Click Create.
- Add an event title, date, and time.
- (Optional) To create the event on another calendar you have edit access to, at the bottom click your calendar name and select another calendar.
- In the Add guests field, enter the first few letters of a person’s name or email address. Matching addresses in your organization’s directory appear as you enter text.
- Click a suggestion to add that person to the event. If no suggestions appear, enter your guest’s full email address. After you add a guest to your event:
- A video meeting in Google Meet is automatically added to the event.
- The guest's calendar appears next to yours.
- (Optional) You can add a Google Groups mailing list address to invite a large group of people at once.
For more information about inviting a large group, see managing large events in Calendar.
- (Optional) To mark a guest’s attendance as optional, point to the guest's name and click People .
- (Optional) To allow guests to modify the event, invite others, or see the guest list, click Guest permissions and check the appropriate boxes.
Tip: If you’re not the organizer of the meeting but you have permission to edit the event, you can follow these steps to invite people to a meeting.
Note: If you create an event in Calendar and don't give guests permission to modify the event, they can't change the event's date or time on their own calendar.
Add a room:
- Click the Add rooms, location, or conferencing field.
Note: If you don't see this option, contact your administrator.
- Click Add rooms.
Based on your work location, number of attendees, and previous room bookings, suggestions automatically appear.
- (Optional) If you need to adjust the criteria for your meeting room, you can click:
- People to specify the required room size.
- Video to specify the need for video-conferencing equipment.
- Phone to specify the need for audio conferencing
- Point to the room that meets your criteria and check the box to select the room.
- If you don’t see a suitable room:
- In the search box, enter another resource or building name, floor, or conferencing equipment (such as Chromebox for meetings). As you enter text, you’ll see results below the search box.
- Point to a room to see details, such as room capacity, location, equipment and features.
- When you find the room you need, point to it and check the box to select it.
Add a meeting location:
Click Add location and enter your details. Suggestions automatically appear.
Add video conferencing:
When you add a guest to an event, a video meeting in Google Meet is automatically added to the event.
For Enterprise edition accounts, a dial-in phone number and PIN are also added. Guests can call in to the meeting by phone if your administrator has turned this option on.
Tip: You can add a Meet video meeting to a Microsoft Outlook event or email using the Meet add-in. For details, see Add Meet video meetings to Outlook.
Add an event description:
- Click the Add description or attachments field.
- Add details, such as contact information, instructions, or links for your event.
- (Optional) Format your description by bolding, italicizing, underlining, or adding lists and links.
Add an attachment:
- Click the Add description or attachments field.
- Click My Drive or Upload and select your file.
- Click Select or Upload. Your file will be attached to the event
- Choose an event color—When you're creating an event, you can choose the color that event will show as in your calendars. To choose a different color for your event, click the color palette next to your calendar name and select a different option.
- Add your event to a different calendar—For your event to appear on a different calendar, click your calendar name and select a different calendar.
- Show as busy/available—Change the visibility settings to “Busy” or “Available” so you can show free or busy times on your calendar.
- Set your default visibility—If you share your calendar, your events have the same privacy settings as your calendar. You can change what others can see about certain events.
For more information about privacy settings, see Change your privacy settings.
Set up notification defaults
- In Calendar, click Settings Settings.
- On the left under General, click Event settings.
- Click Notifications and select an option:
- Desktop notifications
- (Optional) To set up a sound for your incoming notifications, check the Play notification sounds box.
- (Optional) To manage your notifications, on the left, click your calendarGeneral notifications.
- Next to each option, click the Down arrow and select None or Email.
Set up notifications for specific events
- When you're creating your event, at the bottom, click More options.
- Click Add notification.
- Select a time period for notifications.
- (Optional) To add another notification, click Add notification and repeat steps 2-3.
When you’re finished filling in the details, save your event and send your invitations.
- Click Save.
- Choose an option:
- Send to notify guests by email
- Don’t send to skip notifications at this time
- Dismiss to continue editing the invitation
- If you’re inviting people from outside of your organization, click:
- Invite external guests to notify them.
- Continue editing to notify them later.
- (Optional) To open your event on the Edit event page, click More options.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.