Get started with Calendar
1. Schedule events
Schedule one-time activities, such as conferences, as well as recurring events, such as staff meetings. Let everyone know if you’re attending with a single click from the event invitation.
In this section:
- In Calendar, choose an option:
- Click an empty time slot in the calendar grid.
- Click Create.
- Select Event.
Add an event title, date, and time:
Enter a title for you event and choose a time and date. If you want to set up a recurring event, click Does not repeat and select an option.
If you want to change the time zone for your event or add a new time zone, click Time zone and select an option.
For more information about adding time zones, see Work with different time zones in Calendar.
- Click Add guests and enter the first few letters of a person’s name or email address. Matching addresses in your organization’s directory appear as you enter text.
- (Optional) You can add a Google Groups mailing list address to invite a large group of people at once.
For more information about inviting a large group, see managing large events in Calendar.
- Click a suggestion to add that person to the event. If no suggestions appear, enter your guest’s full email address. After you add a guest to your event, their calendars appear alongside yours.
- (Optional) To quickly add people to a meeting:
- Go to the Meet with section.
- Enter your guest email addresses.
- Click Create to set up a meeting with these guests.
- (Optional) To check your guest's availability, choose an option:
- To open your calendar and see your guest’s calendar and availability, click See guest availability.
- To see a list of suggested meeting times for guests, click Suggested times and select an option.
- (Optional) To mark a guest’s attendance as optional, point to the guest's name and click People .
- (Optional) To allow guests to modify the event, invite others, or see the guest list, click Guests can; and check the appropriate boxes.
- (Optional) To forward an email invitation to a guest, under Guests can; check the Invite others box. When new guests respond to the invite, they’re added to the guest list.
Note: If you create an event in Calendar and do not give guests permission to modify the event, they can't change the event's date or time on their own calendar.
Add a room:
- Click Add rooms.
Based on your work location, number of attendees, and previous room bookings, suggestions automatically appear.
- If you need to adjust the criteria for your meeting room, you can click:
- People to specify the required room size.
- Video to specify the need for video-conferencing equipment.
- Phone to specify the need for audio conferencing.
- Point to the room that meets your criteria and check the box to select the room.
- If you don’t see a suitable room:
- In the search box, enter another resource or building name, floor, or conferencing equipment (such as Chromebox for meetings). As you enter text, you’ll see results below the search box.
- Point to a room to see details, such as room capacity, location, equipment and features.
- When you find the room you need, point to it and check the box to select it.
Note: If you don’t see resources, room details, or automatic room suggestions, your G Suite administrator might not have set them up for your organization.
Add a meeting location:
Click Add location and enter your details.
Add an event description—Add details, such as contact information, instructions, or links for your event. Format your description by bolding, italicizing, underlining, or adding lists and links.
Add attachments—Attach files, such as documents or presentations to your events.
Choose an event color—When you're creating an event, you can choose the color that event will show as in your calendars. To choose a different color for your event, scroll down and click your calendar name. Click the color palette and select a different option.
Add your event to a different calendar—For your event to appear on a different calendar, scroll down and click your calendar name. Click it again and select a different calendar.
Show as busy/available—Change the visibility settings to “Busy” or “Available” so you can show free or busy times on your calendar.
Set your default visibility—If you share your calendar, your events have the same privacy settings as your calendar. You can change what others can see about certain events.
For more information about privacy settings, see Change your privacy settings.
- Go to the Notifications section, and select Email or Notification.
- Select a time period for notifications.
- (Optional) To add another notification, click Add Notification and repeat steps 1-2
When you’re finished filling in the details, save your event and send your invitations.
- Click Save.
- Choose an option. Click:
- Send to notify guests by email
- Don’t send to skip notifications at this time
- Dismiss to continue editing the invitation
- If you’re inviting people from outside of your organization, click Invite external guests or, to notify them later, Continue editing.
- (Optional) To open your event on the Edit event page, click More options.