If, when using Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO), you notice any problems with your data in Outlook, such as missing emails or calendar events, try repairing your local profile by synchronizing again with the cloud. You can resync your Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, or other data.
If you delete and resync your calendars, GWSMO might start syncing different calendars than before. If this happens, select which calendars you want to sync. For details, go to view and manage your calendars. If you delete and resync your personal contacts, empty Contact folders are removed from Outlook so you'll need to recreate them.
Note: A resync can take a long time and consume significant resources.
Click GWSMO in your Microsoft Windows taskbar notification area.
- The GWSMO icon appears in the notification area, typically next to the clock. This area has been known historically as the system tray. From here, you can open the GWSMO settings.
- If you cannot find the icon, it might be automatically hidden within the overflow area. To view all icons, click the up arrow on the taskbar.
- Note: The icon only appears if GWSMO is running.
- Choose View sync status.
- In the Synchronization Status dialog, click Re-sync next to Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, or whatever data you want to resync.
- In the re-sync dialog that opens, select one of the following options:
- Overwrite—Overwrites your local profile with data from Google, updating just the data type you selected (for example, Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, etc.). This option preserves Outlook-specific data such as follow-up flags, color categories, and distribution lists. Try this option first, to check if it fixes your problem.
- Delete and re-sync—Deletes local data from your Outlook profile, then resyncs with the cloud to repopulate your local profile with data from Google. Applies only to the data type selected (for example, Google Contacts, Google Calendar, Gmail, etc.). Choose this option only after trying the Overwrite option.
Note: The delete and re-sync option removes Outlook-specific data from your local profile. This includes all data Google doesn't store, such as follow-up flags, color categories, calendar attachments, distribution lists (if you resync your contacts), and more. However, it does so only for the data type you're syncing. You can therefore repair your calendars without losing mail categories, or repair your mail without losing distribution lists from your contacts. For details on what isn't synced with Google, and would therefore be lost when using this option, go to What's synchronized between Outlook and Google Workspace?
- Click Re-sync.
You can continue to work during the resync. Messages are delivered immediately. Incoming messages appear in your Inbox after the resync is complete.
- View and manage your calendars
- Set a local mailbox size
- Troubleshoot Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.