- Apply target audiences to a Google service, to recommend them as sharing options for all or just specific users.
- Set the default target audience for users.
- Remove target audiences to stop recommending them to users.
Learn more about target audiences.
Note: At least one target audience needs to be applied to a Google service. By default, a pre-defined audience that includes all users in your organization is applied to any services that have target audience settings. You can use the pre-defined audience or replace it with another audience you created.
- You can apply up to 5 target audiences to a Google service for all or just specific users.
- To apply target audiences to service, you'll need to create a policy for an organizational unit or configuration group. You can't apply target audiences directly to a user's account.
- You can set the default—or primary—target audience, which appears first in a user's list of sharing recommendations. You can also set the order the other audiences appear in the list.
- When you apply a target audience to a service, it appears in that user's sharing settings for that service.
If you haven't yet created target audiences to apply to a Google service, go to Create a target audience.
Before you remove a target audience from a Google service
If you remove a target audience:
- It's no longer available in users' sharing settings for the service for any items (such as documents), except in items that are currently shared with that audience.
- Members can still access any items currently shared with that audience. To prevent access, you'll need to either remove members from the audience or delete the audience.
After you remove a target audience from a service, you can permanently Delete a target audience.
Set target audiences for Drive and Docs
On the left of the Admin console, go to Directory Target audiences.
- In the Target audiences list, click the name of the target audience you want to apply to or remove from a Drive and Docs.
- At the upper-right corner of the page, click Apply to Google service. You'll be taken to the sharing settings for the service.
Requires having the Service Settings administrator privilege.
- To set target audiences, follow the instructions in Set Drive users' sharing permissions.