Supported editions for this feature: Business Standard and Plus; Enterprise; Education and Enterprise for Education; G Suite Business. Compare your edition
- Apply target audiences to a Google service, to recommend them as sharing options for all or just specific users.
- Remove target audiences to stop recommending them to users.
- Set the default target audience for users.
Learn more about target audiences.
Note: At least one target audience needs to be applied to a Google service. By default, a pre-defined audience that includes all users in your organization is applied to any services that have target audience settings. You can use the pre-defined audience or replace it with another audience you created.
- You can apply up to 3 target audiences to a Google service for all or just specific users.
- To apply target audiences to service, you'll need to create a policy for an organizational unit or configuration group. You can't apply target audiences directly to a user's account.
- When you apply a target audience to a service, it appears in that user's sharing settings for that service.
If you haven't yet created target audiences to apply to a Google service, go to Create a target audience.
Before you remove a target audience from a Google service
If you remove a target audience:
- It's no longer available in users' sharing settings for the service for any items (such as documents), except in items that are currently shared with that audience.
- Members can still access any items currently shared with that audience. To prevent access, you'll need to either remove members from the audience or delete the audience.
After you remove a target audience from a service, you can permanently Delete a target audience.
Set target audiences for services
You can access target audience settings for a Google service from your Target audiences list or the service's sharing settings.
From your Target audiences list
From the Admin console Home page, go to Menu DirectoryTarget audiences.
- In the Target audiences list, click the name of the target audience you want to apply to or remove from a Google service.
- At the upper-right corner of the page, click Apply to Google service. You'll be taken to the sharing settings for the service.
Requires having the Service Settings administrator privilege.
Next steps: Follow the instructions below for the service you want to set target audiences for.
Google Drive and Docs
To set target audiences for Google Drive and Docs, go to Set Drive users' sharing settings.