Get started: Use advanced Groups features
Customize your Groups web address
You can make it easy for users to find your Groups service by creating a custom web address—also known as a URL—for the service. With a custom address, users can sign in to their Google Groups account at groups.yourdomain.com instead of at the longer default address groups.google.com/a/yourdomain.com. You can create custom addresses in your primary and secondary domains.
If you purchased your domain from a Google partner during the G Suite sign-up process, you don't need to create a custom address for Groups for Business. We've customized the address for you.
To customize your Groups web address
From the Admin console Home page, go to Company profile Custom URLs.
To see Company profile, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Select the domain you want to update from the drop-down list.
- If necessary, click Change URL, fill in the form to create a custom address for Groups, and type a prefix. Sample prefixes for Google services include mail, calendar, drive, sites, and groups.
To use a prefix that you've already created for another service: Remove or rename the existing prefix and click Save. Then add the prefix to the service URL.
- Click Save.
- Follow the instructions that appear to add a CNAME record for each service address you're customizing. To add a CNAME record, sign in to your account at your domain host's website, not with Google.
For example, to create the Gmail address mail.yourdomain.com, add a CNAME record that points mail to ghs.googlehosted.com. Your domain host records will look something like this:
Type Name or Host Value or Address CNAME ghs.googlehosted.com CNAME calendar ghs.googlehosted.com
- Click I've completed these steps.
If you see an error message, check the the following:
- The custom URL may be in use as a customized Google Sites address. For details, see Customize a Google Site address.
- The custom URL may be in use as a service access URL.
- You entered duplicate URLs.
- Your domain is set up with a security measure, such as HTTP Strict Transport Security, which requires HTTPS connections. The Admin console supports only HTTP connections for custom URLS, so you can't customize service addresses for your domain. You can check the HTTP Strict Transport Security status for your domain at https://hstspreload.org.