Configure alert center email notifications
By configuring a rule in the Google Admin console, you can configure alert center email notifications. You can also use a rule to configure other settings, for example to turn alert center alerts on or off.
Configure alert center email notifications:
- At the top, click Menu and select Security Alert Center. You’ll see any alerts for your domain.
- Click the Alert Rules Settings icon in the upper-right corner to open the Rules page.
This page lists rules for trackable security events such as a suspicious login, a compromised device, a leaked password, or a new user added. For some of these events, you can turn on alerts, which means they will appear in the alert center. For all of them, you can set up email notifications.
- Click a rule to open the Rule details page.
- Click the Actions panel.
- If the Alerts option is present, be sure the alert is turned On, and choose a default severity level.
If you turn off an alert, email notifications are not sent.
- In Send email notifications, you have the option to select All super administrators as well as click ADD RECIPIENTS to add multiple recipients from the list of users in your domain.
Important: When adding recipients to email notifications, you have the option to add groups. To make sure users outside of your organization are able to send email notifications to the group, you'll need to correctly configure access settings for that group. For instructions, see View or edit group access settings for email notifications in the section below.
- Click NEXT: REVIEW.
- Click UPDATE RULE.
- On the Rule details page, click Rules at top left to return to the Rules page.
- Verify the following:
- The Status for the rule is Active.
- The Actions column shows Send notification.
- If an alert center alert is available for the rule, the Alerts column shows On. (For rules that don't generate an alert center alert, a dash appears in the Alerts column.)
When adding recipients to email notifications, you have the option to add groups. To make sure users outside of your organization are able to send email notifications to the group, you'll need to correctly configure access settings for that group.
To view or edit group access settings:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console at admin.google.com.
Be sure to sign in with your administrator account, and not with your personal Gmail account.
- At the top, click the main menu and select Directory Groups.
- Hover over the group for which you want to provide access to alert center email notifications, and click Edit settings.
- Click the Access type section to update the group access settings.
For example, in the Publish posts row, check the External box. This allows people outside your organization to post messages to the group.
- Click SAVE.
For more details and instructions, see View or edit group details.