You can use the investigation tool to search and investigate user log events, and take action based on the results of your investigations. For example, you can do the following:
- Identify and investigate attempts to hijack user accounts in your organization.
- Monitor which 2SV methods users in your organization are using.
- Learn more about failed login attempts by users in your organization.
- Restore or suspend users.
Your access to the security investigation tool
- Supported editions for the security investigation tool include Enterprise Plus, Education Standard, Education Plus, and Enterprise Essentials Plus.
- Admins with Cloud Identity Premium, Frontline Standard, Enterprise Standard, and Education Standard can also use the investigation tool for a subset of data sources.
- Your ability to run a search in the investigation tool depends on your Google edition, your administrative privileges, and the data source. If you're unable to run a search in the investigation tool for a specific data source, you can use the audit and investigation page instead. For more information, go to Improved audit and investigation experience.
- You can run a search in the investigation tool on all users, regardless of the Google edition they have.
Search and investigate user log events
In the Admin console, go to Menu SecuritySecurity centerInvestigation tool.
- Choose User log events as the data source for your search.
- Click Add Condition.
You can include one or more conditions in your search. For details about which conditions are available for User log events, see Customize searches within the investigation tool > Conditions for user log events.
For example, you can narrow your search based on the Date of the event, the name of the user, or an Event type such as a password change, 2SV enrollment, or a failed login.
- Click Search.
The search results are displayed at the bottom of the page.
Take action based on search results
From the search results page, select one or multiple users. Then, from the Actions drop-down menu, click Restore user or Suspend user.
View details for individual users in search results
From the search results page, select only one user. From the Actions drop-down menu, click View details. A page is then displayed with sign-in information, the name of the organizational unit, security details, group membership, and more.
From this same page, you can also take actions on the user; for example, to reset the user's password or rename the user.