Turn Search and Assistant on or off
As an administrator of your organization's Google Accounts, you can control who uses Search and Assistant services with their account. Just turn the service on or off for those users in your Admin console. Users who have Search and Assistant turned on can use their account on Google Search and Google Assistant to see personal results, get better speech recognition, and access additional features. Users who have the service turned off can still use Google Search and Google Assistant without using or saving information with their account.
Note: Some features may also require the Web & App Activity service to be turned on. For details, see Turn Web & App Activity on or off.
Control who uses Search and Assistant in your organization
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for a set of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsAdditional Google services.
Click Search and Assistant.
Tip: Scroll to see all services. Or at the left, choose a Filter to narrow the list, for example, based on status or popularity.
At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service .
To apply settings to all organizations, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
To apply settings to individual organizational units, do the following:
- At the left, select the organizational unit that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- To change the setting, select On or Off.
- To keep the setting the same, even if the parent setting changes, click Override.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Control who can access G Suite and Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- G Suite for Education Core and Additional services