Free unused meeting rooms
Turn on automatic room release to free up booked meeting rooms that are no longer needed. Rooms are released when all but one person declines the meeting. When a room is declined, an email notification is sent.
Use the Room Insights Dashboard helps you analyze room releases for your organization. The Room insights dashboard shows you the total number of released room hours, rebooked hours, and unreleased hours.
Turn room releases on or off
Turn on automatic room release for one or more rooms.
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteCalendarResources.
- Next to one or more resources, check the box.
- At the top, click the Down arrow next to Edit.
- Click Edit Calendar-based room release.
- Change the setting state to On or Off.
- Click Apply.
Fix unwanted room releases
You can reduce unwanted room releases with a thoughtful choice of room and organizer exceptions. Calendar includes logic to help, but your choice of rooms and user groups are critical.
Calendar's room release logic
- Guests decline less than 10 minutes before a meeting starts
- Meetings are set up ad-hoc within the next 30 minutes
- The resource is on a room hold
- The meeting lasts longer than 3 hours
- The room for the same meeting was previously released but then re-added
Choose rooms to releases
- Frequently used by important employees
For example, CEOs private room.
- Used for business-critical functions
For example, rooms reserved for hiring, client meetings, or special events.
- Restricted for most employees
- Used by external guests not invited to the event
Choose room organizers
- Create the meetings for VIP employees
- Frequently book meetings for others but don’t attend
- Are high-level executive
- Set up business-critical and external-facing meetings
Exclude user groups in the Admin Console
To remove a user group from automatic room releases, you need an administrator account with Services > Calendar and Groups > Read privileges. See Assign administrator roles to a user or Create custom administrator roles for instructions.
- From the Admin console Home page, click Buildings and resources.
- Under Room settings, click Exempt user group.
- Under Exclude user group, click Add group name here.
- Enter the user group and click Save.