Limit visibility of groups and messages
As an administrator, you can control who can:
- View messages sent to groups in your organization
- Contact group owners
- View, add, invite, and approve group members
- Join groups
- Post messages to groups
Set visibility of groups in the Admin console
You can set the visibility level when you create groups in the Admin console.
Set visibility of existing groups in Google Groups
This feature requires turning on Google Groups for Business.
To set the visibility options of existing groups in Google Groups:
From the Admin console Home page, go to Groups.
To see Groups, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Point to a group, and click Edit settings.
- At the bottom of the page, click advanced settings. You’re taken to the group's permissions page in your Groups for Business service.
- Select the settings you want to change under Basic permissions and Access permissions in the menu on the left.
Set group visibility with APIs
When you create a group using the Directory API, the default for the View topics option is All members of the group. To view and update visibility settings, use the Directory API and Groups Settings API, or the third-party tool, Google Apps Manager (GAM).
For sample scripts you can customize, see GitHub.