As an administrator, you can control whether to keep chat history for users in your organization. You can set the default and also let users change their history setting for each conversation.
In the Admin console, go to Menu AppsGoogle WorkspaceGoogle Chat.
- Click History for chats.
- Under Organizational Units, select the domain or organizational unit you want to apply settings to.
Turn history On or Off.
If you turn history On, you can use Vault to control how long messages are retained. Messages will disappear after the Vault retention period (if you set one).
- If you turn history Off, messages are deleted after 24 hours. Vault can't hold, retain, or search direct messages that are sent with history turned off.
Turning history off does not hide content from scans to detect sensitive data or abuse. See “History details” below for more information.
- To let users change their history setting, check Allow users to change their history setting.
- Click Save.
- Chat history settings apply to direct messages and group messages. History is always on in spaces with threaded conversations and can never be changed.
- History changes apply only to new messages. For example, If you turn chat history on, only new messages will be saved. If you turn chat history off, old messages that were previously saved are still saved.
- If history is forced on, people in different data regions can’t chat. (History is forced on if History for chats is On and Allow users to change their history setting is not selected.) If you allow users to change their history setting, history will automatically be turned off when people from different data regions chat.
- When history is off, data is not reported in the Audit report for direct messages except when messages are associated with Data Loss Prevention (DLP) incidents. Chat DLP incidents are logged in the Audit report for all messages, including those sent with history off. The DLP incident log points to the message, and admins can view the message until it’s deleted in 24 hours. After that point, the incident log remains with a record that the message was deleted.
- When history is off, a message with external participants may be preserved longer than 24 hours if a user flags it for abuse or the message is reported to Google for spam, phishing, or malware.