1. When will I switch to Meet?
The move from classic Hangouts to Meet is happening in the following phases. Ignore this information if you are already using Hangouts Meet. See whether Meet is turned on for your organization.
Phase 1: Automatic activation (with opt-out)
Meet is the video calling experience for G Suite domains upgrading to Meet on Google’s recommended schedule*. This means:
- New Calendar events will include a link to a Meet video meeting.
- Existing events remain unchanged.
- Google meeting room hardware also uses Meet.
- Users can still join classic Hangouts video calls, even if Meet is enabled.
* To determine if you are upgrading on Google’s recommended schedule, go to the admin console under Apps > G Suite > Google Hangouts > Global Settings. Domains that have been automatically upgraded to Meet will display “You are upgrading to Meet on Google’s recommended schedule”.
G Suite administrators can switch back to classic Hangouts video calls by turning Meet off for a specific organizational unit.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteGoogle Hangouts.
- Click Meet settings.
Select the desired organizational unit.
(Otherwise, your settings apply to your entire organization.)
- Next to New meeting experience, uncheck Let users create video meetings with Meet, and switch all Chrome devices for meetings to use Meet.
- Click Save.
See Turn Meet on or off for more information about the Admin console settings.
Phase 2: Meet on for all users (no opt-out)
By early 2019, Meet will have parity with the existing classic Hangouts experience including support for IE® and Safari® users. After this, Meet will automatically be turned on for all organizational units and domains and you can no longer opt out. This phase will be communicated through the G Suite updates blog and will provide at least four weeks advance notice before Meet is turned on for all users.
In this phase, all new Calendar events include a Meet video meeting link. All Chrome devices for meetings will also use Meet. Users can still join previously scheduled classic Hangouts video calls.
Phase 3: Classic Hangouts video calling deactivation
At least four weeks following the completion of Phase 2, Meet activation for all users (no opt-out) phase, classic Hangouts will be turned off for all domains. All links to Hangouts classic video calls will display a message indicating the video call link is no longer valid. All new and existing events will use Meet. This will not impact direct calling from chat and only impacts video calls scheduled in Calendar.