Control access to the new Calendar
As a G Suite administrator, you can control access to the new Google Calendar for people in your organization. To learn more about the new Calendar and how it may affect the user experience, see Get started with Calendar in the G Suite Learning Center.
Considerations before you begin
- Before choosing New Calendar as the default or opt-in choice, test it in your organization to make sure it meets your needs. Provide access to your support organization to verify this.
- If you've evaluated it and want to start using the New Calendar, choose one of the New Calendar options. Otherwise, choose Automatic to have Google control the transition.
- Communicate the change to your users.
- If you're staying on Classic Calendar, make sure you switch to the New Calendar before Feb. 28, 2018, when all domains will switch to New Calendar.
Choose timing for how users upgrade
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteCalendar.
- Click New Calendar.
If you have multiple organizational units, select the one you want to set access for.
- In the Upgrade timing section, choose which Calendar versions are available to your users, or let Google control the upgrade timing.
- Automatic (default)—Users go through each phase (including opt-in and opt-out stages), completing the process by Feb. 28, 2018. No action is required on your part for the Automatic option.
- Classic Calendar only—Users don't have access to the new calendar. This allows you to manually control when to move your users to the new Calendar. For example, you might have users who depend on a Chrome extension that hasn’t been updated for the new Calendar yet. After the extension is updated, you can choose one of the options to turn on new Calendar for your users.
- New Calendar available—Users have the option to use the new Calendar, but Classic Calendar is the default.
- New Calendar default—Users get the new Calendar as default, but they can switch back to Classic Calendar.
- New Calendar only—Users use the new Calendar.
- Click Save.
It may take up to 24 hours for your changes to take effect.