G Suite for Education Core and Additional services
G Suite for Education offers two categories of Google services:
- G Suite Core Services are Gmail (including Inbox by Gmail), Calendar, Classroom, Contacts, Drive, Docs, Forms, Groups, Sheets, Sites, Slides, Talk/Hangouts and Vault.
- Additional Services (like Youtube, Maps, and Blogger) are designed for consumer users and can optionally be used with Apps for Education accounts if allowed for educational purposes by a school’s domain administrator.
Important changes to Additional Services
On August 1, 2017, Google will disable Additional Services for G Suite for Education school accounts created before April 22, 2016. If you have such an account and you don’t want these services disabled, you need to set up manual control for user access to these services before August 1. Unless you do, these services will be automatically disabled.
You should have already received an email directing you to an interstitial page to view your domain’s enabled Additional Services and to choose an option:
- Manage Services myself
If you select this option, we will not disable any of your Additional Services on August 1, 2017.
- Turn off the services specified above for all users
If you select this option, all of your domain’s Additional Services will be disabled immediately. However, it can take up to 48 hours for the changes to activate.
- Turn off the services above for all users, except for Google Play
If you select this option, all of Additional Services except for Google Play will be disabled immediately. However, it can take up to 48 hours for the changes to activate
For accounts which don't select one of the 3 options above, Google will forcibly disable the Additional Services on their domain on August 1, 2017.
Once you’ve made your selection, the interstitial page is locked and you can't edit it. You can, however, view the page to see which decision you’ve made.
- If your Additional Services are forcibly disabled on August 1, 2017, you can still re-enable any or all of these services again yourself manually. For new services that Google enables, please see New Products settings on the Admin console Company Profile page.
The G Suite for Education Privacy Notice describes how Google collects and uses information with G Suite for Education accounts. As stated in this Privacy Notice, for Apps for Education users in Primary/Secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with a Google Account) to target ads.
|Services||Apps for Education Core Services||Additional Services|
|Terms||G Suite for Education Privacy Notice|
|Data use||User personal information collected in the Core Services is used only to provide the Core Services like Gmail, Docs, Sheets, and Slides.||Information from all Additional Services can be used to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, and to develop new ones.|
|Ads||No ads in Core Services, and no Customer Data from Core Services is used for advertising purposes (in either Core or Additional Services).||Additional Services may show ads. For G Suite for Education users in Primary/Secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with a Google Account) to target ads.|
|Security||Core Services are included in G Suite security audits and certifications (ISO 27001, SOC 2 and SOC 3).||All Additional Services meet Google’s high standards for information security.|
When Google adds new services in your Google Admin console, you can have them immediately turned on for users. Or you can have new services initially turned off, then decide for yourself when to turn them on. Learn more