Verify your domain with an HTML file
Uploading an HTML file to your domain's website is one way to verify domain ownership and activate Google Apps for your domain. In the Admin console, you download an HTML file which contains a verification code. We verify that you uploaded the HTML file to your website. Uploading the file doesn’t affect the way your website looks or works.
If you don't have a website for your domain, or can't upload files to the website server, you can use another verification method.1. Open the Google Apps Setup Wizard
If you don’t see the Verify Domain button at the top of the Admin console, or if you’re adding an additional domain to your Apps account, follow these instructions to access the meta tag you need to add:
- From the Admin console dashboard, click Domains.
If you don't see Domains on your dashboard, click More controls. Where is it?
- Click Add/remove domains.
- Next to the domain you need to verify, click Activate domain to open the Google Apps Setup Wizard.
- Click the Alternate Methods tab and select the HTML file upload option.
If you're not sure how to upload files to your web server, contact the person who manages your site for help.
- In the instructions that appear, click Download the HTML Verification File or the HTML verification file to download it. It looks similar to google-site-verification: google4ddabfacdb4f6795.html.
- Leave the Admin console browser window open and upload the HTML file to the root folder (top-level folder) of your domain's website.The root folder's name can vary by hosting provider, but it's typically public_html, www, or wwwroot.
Do not upload the HTML file to a subfolder. The file must be visible at http://your_domain.com/your_filename.html.
- Open any browser window.
- Go to the address of the uploaded file on your website. This is your site's URL including the file name, for example, http://your_domain.com/your_filename.html. Be sure to replace your_domain.com with your actual domain name and your_filename.html with your actual file name.
If the file uploaded correctly, you'll see in your browser google-site-verification: followed by the string of characters in the file you uploaded.
- Return to the Admin console browser window that has the verification instructions.
- Click Verify domain and email setup or Verify at the bottom of the page.
This prompts Google to check for the HTML file at the same address you viewed it above. After we find the file, we'll activate service for your domain. It might take up to an hour for Google to verify your domain. If we don't find the HTML file immediately, we'll keep checking for it periodically.
Get help to verify your domain
Get quick, personal help from our Support team. (Not available for the legacy free version of Google Apps.)