Customize a G Suite service URL
You can make it easy for users to find your core G Suite services by creating custom web addresses—also known as URLs—to each service. For example, with a custom address, users can sign in to their Gmail account at mail.yourdomain.com instead of at the longer default address mail.google.com/a/yourdomain.com. You can create custom addresses in your primary and secondary domains for services, including Gmail, Calendar, Sites, and others.
If you purchased your domain from a Google partner during the sign-up process, you don't need to create custom addresses for your Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sites and Groups for Business services. We've customized these addresses for you.
Customize a service address
From the Admin console dashboard, go to Company profile Custom URLs.
To see Company profile, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Select the domain you want to update from the drop-down list.
- If necessary, click Change URL and fill in the form to create a custom address for each available service, typing a prefix for each new web address. Sample prefixes for Google services include mail, calendar, drive, sites, and groups.
To use a prefix that you've already created for another service: Remove or rename the existing prefix and click Save. Then add the prefix to the service URL.
- Click Save.
- Follow the instructions that appear to add a CNAME record for each service address you're customizing. To add a CNAME record, sign in to your account at your domain host's website, not with Google.
For example, to create the Gmail address mail.yourdomain.com, add a CNAME record that points mail to ghs.googlehosted.com. Your domain host records will look something like this:
Type Name or Host Value or Address CNAME ghs.googlehosted.com CNAME calendar ghs.googlehosted.com
- Click I've completed these steps.
If you see an error message, check the the following:
- The custom URL may be in use as a customized Google Sites address. For details, see Customize a Google Site address.
- The custom URL may be in use as a service access URL.
- You entered duplicate URLs.
Note that if you've activated a secure protocol on your domain, Google Custom URL redirection does not work as it is not compatible with TLS/SSL redirection which forces encrypted browsing. The URL http://mail.domain.com is redirected to https://mail.domain.com instead of https://mail.google.com/a/domain.com.