You might need to add a CNAME record to your domain host to either verify your domain or reset your G Suite administrator password. Your domain host is typically where you purchased your domain name (like GoDaddy, Enom, or Name.com). You may also need to add a CNAME record to your domain host if you are in the process of mapping your website.Step 1. Sign in to your domain host
- If you don’t know who this is, read Identify your domain host.
- Open a browser tab or window and sign in to your host’s website.
You get a unique CNAME record for your domain when you set up G Suite or when you reset your G Suite admin password.
Keep the page with this record open. You’ll use it later.
If you're not familiar with CNAME records, contact your domain host, who can help you. You can use the email template below when you call or email their support team.
To add the CNAME record to your domain host, follow the steps below. See your domain host’s documentation for more specific instructions.
- Go to your domain’s DNS records.
- Add a record to your DNS settings, selecting CNAME as the record type.
- Return to the first window or tab and copy the contents of the Label/Host field.
- Paste the copied contents into the Label or Host field with your DNS records.
- Return to the first window or tab and copy the contents of the Destination/Target field.
- Paste the copied contents into the Destination or Target field with your DNS records.
Your record should look similar to one of the tables below:
Verification CNAME Record
Record type Label/Host field Time To Live (TTL) Destination/Target field CNAME XXXXXXXXXXXX 3600 or leave the default xx-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Password Reset CNAME Record
Record type Label/Host field Time to Live (TTL) Destination/Target field CNAME googleXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 3600 google.com
- Save your record.
CNAME record changes can take up to 72 hours to go into effect, but typically they happen much sooner.
- Return to the setup or password reset panel in your other browser window and follow the next steps.
Use this template to email your domain host for help adding your unique CNAME record to your DNS records. Enter your unique Label/Host and Destination/Target text into the email before sending it to your domain host’s Support team.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.