Add video calls to Microsoft Outlook® meetings
G Suite users can schedule Hangouts video calls with other Outlook users in their company with the Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®.
This plugin is also used by organizations with Chrome devices for meetings that do not have G Suite. The plugin adds a video call name to the Microsoft Outlook event, and participants join the video call from a Chrome device by entering the video call name using the remote control.
Outlook users inside the organization’s domain can join by clicking the video call link in the Microsoft Outlook event. Once the meeting is started, click Invite people to invite users to the video call. Participants from inside or outside your organization can be invited. Learn more.Install the Plugin
To install the Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®, you must have administrator privileges on your computer. Please see your administrator for help.
- On a Windows computer, open a browser and go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangouts_outlookplugin.
- Click Download Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®.
- Run the downloaded HangoutsOutlookPlugin.exe to complete the installation.
The plugin adds two buttons in the Office Ribbon for Outlook Mail and Calendar: one for scheduled and one for unscheduled video calls.
Schedule a Hangout
Create a new meeting populated with Hangouts video call details.
Tip: If you are editing an existing meeting, click Add Hangout to meeting. This adds the video call name to the location field and instructions for joining the meeting to the message. This also updates an existing Hangout if the meeting details were changed.
Start a new Hangout
|Launch a spontaneous video call. The video call opens in your default browser.|
|Chromebox for meetings device||If you are using a Chromebox for meetings device, enter the video call name using the remote control.|
You can invite internal participants—people who have G Suite accounts in the same domain—in multiple ways:
- Add them as a guest to the Outlook calendar event.
- Click Invite people to add them as a guest in the video call. Learn more.
- If your organization has Chrome devices for meetings, you can send them the video call name.
Users outside your domain can be invited to join after the video call is started.
- Start the video call.
- Click the icon next to the meeting name (such as ), or click Invite people.
- Select Change and then Allow.
- The icon changes to a sharing link. Enter the email addresses of the guests you'd like to invite, or copy the meeting URL and manually send it to additional guests.
- Click Invite to send a link to the email addresses you entered.
You can join a video call using the Outlook buttons, or using the meeting name. Additional guests can be invited by clicking Invite people after the meeting starts.
If you have G Suite
If you have G Suite, you can join the video call by:
Click Join a Hangouts Video Call
Click the Join a Hangouts Video Call button and sign in with the correct Google account (if you have more than one).
|Click the link||
Click the URL in the calendar invitation. You will join the video call with the Google account used to sign in to your browser.
|Use a Chromebox for meetings device||Enter the video call name using the remote control. Learn more.|
If you do not have a G Suite account, you can join the video call in the following ways:
Click the link
(Users inside the organization’s domain only)
Sign in to a Google account, such as Gmail, and click the link in the calendar invitation.
You will join the video call with the Google account used to sign in to your browser.
|Chromebox for meetings device||Enter the video call name using the remote control. Learn more.|
Additional guests, including users outside the domain, can be invited after the meeting starts by clicking Invite people.
Guests must be signed in to a Google account, such as Gmail. Learn more.
To customize your default video call settings, click New > Meeting request, then click Hangout Settings in the ribbon.
Frequently Asked QuestionsI don't have G Suite. Can I use the Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®?
Yes. Non-G Suite customers can use Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook® with Chrome devices for meetings. For example, you can:
- Schedule and join video calls using Outlook.
- Join from a Chrome device for meetings by entering the video call name using the remote control.
Yes. Users outside your domain can be invited to join after the video call is started. Learn more.
Check the following:
- If using the Microsoft Outlook® video call link, the guest must be a member of your domain.
- External guests must be invited using by clicking Invite people after the meeting starts.
- All users must be signed in to a web browser using a Google account, such as Gmail.
Your administrator is managing the settings for your organization. To make changes, contact your administrator.
You can remove the buttons by right clicking on the ribbon and selecting Customize the Ribbon. Under Home, select the Hangouts group, and click the remove button.
The Hangouts "Domain" is the domain name of your G Suite domain in which you are using Google Hangouts. If your G Suite e-mail address is email@example.com, your Hangouts Domain value is altostrat.com.