You may forward messages to other G Suite email accounts in three different ways. Some options are controlled at the administrator level, while others are set at the user level. The information below will help you decide which options best suit your business needs.
Forward mail to another account
The ability to forward mail to another account allows a Gmail user to automatically forward incoming mail to another email address.
- This is easy for users to set up once they follow the instructions and get the forwarding account confirmed with Google.
- Users have control and can make changes to where their messages are forwarded to.
- Users can set up only one forwarding address.
- Administrators have no visibility/control over this feature on a per-user basis. However, G Suite administrators can disable the ability to forward messages for all users in the Google Admin console.
Use a filter
By using a filter, a Gmail user to manage the flow of incoming messages by automatically taking actions on messages (archiving, deleting, forwarding messages) based on rules.
Instead of forwarding all incoming messages, Gmail filters can forward messages based on certain rules. For example, you can forward messages from certain addresses or that have a particular subject.
- Users can create up to 20 filters that forward to other addresses.
- Administrators have no visibility or control over this feature on a per-user basis. However, G Suite administrators can disable the ability to forward messages for all users in the Google Admin console.
Set user-level routing
As a G Suite administrator, you can set user-level routing to create additional destinations where messages are delivered for specific user accounts.
- Administrators have control and visibility over where user mail is forwarded to.
- This feature can be managed from the Google Admin console.
You can't successfully forward mail to any email address that is hosted by G Suite, which includes other addresses in your domain. To forward a user's email to a G Suite address, have the user set up a forwarding address from his or her Gmail account.