Customize a Google Site address
You can create easy-to-remember addresses for public websites built in Google Sites. For example, create the address www.yourdomain.com for your company web site. Or create support.yourdomain.com for your support site. Otherwise, when you create a site using Google Sites, the address is sites.google.com/a/yourdomain.com/yoursitename.
You can create up to 2000 custom site addresses in your Google Apps account.
This feature is not available in the legacy free edition of Google Apps.
Before you begin
- Build the site in Google Sites.
- Make the site public so people outside your organization can visit it.
Create a custom address
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsGoogle AppsSites.
- Click Web address mapping.
- Click Add a new web address.
- Under Site location, select the domain your site is in from the drop-down list. Then enter the name of the Google Site you want to map.
- Under Web address, enter the prefix (subdomain) you want to map the site to. For example, enter www to create the address www.yourdomain.com. Or enter support to create support.yourdomain.com. Then select the domain from the drop-down list.
- Click Save.
- Add a CNAME record to map the prefix you entered above to the Google server named ghs.googlehosted.com. For example, to create the address www.yourdomain.com, add a CNAME record for the prefix www.
You add a CNAME record at your domain host's website, not in the Google Admin console.
Skip this step if you''re creating a www address and purchased your domain from a Google partner. In that case, we already added a CNAME record for your domain's www prefix.
Navigate to your site
Public users can now navigate to your site using the shorter, more friendly address, such as www.yourdomain.com or support.yourdomain.com.
Users who are signed in to their Google Apps account can also navigate to the site using this address. When they get there, however, the address bar will display the longer default address, sites.google.com/a/yourdomain.com/yoursitename.