User-level email routing options
Editions supported: User-level routing is available in Google Apps for Business and Education. Compare editions now
The Email routing section of a user's information page enables you to specify where to deliver mail addressed to that user. By default, the mail is delivered to the recipient's Gmail inbox and to any additional destinations specified for the domain (as set with the Domain-level routing options). You can also forward the mail to additional email addresses.
To forward messages that are addressed to specific recipients:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Find the user account. You can either search or browse:
- Search: Enter the user name in the search box at the top of the Google Admin console, then click Search accounts.
- Browse: Click Users. If you created an organizational structure, select an organization from the organizational structure.
- Click the user account to display the user information page.
- Click Profile.
- In the Email routing section, click Add another destination.
- In the text box in the new row, enter the email address to which you want this user's messages forwarded.
You can't successfully forward mail to any email address that is hosted by Google Apps, which includes other addresses in your domain. To forward a user's email to a Google Apps address, have the user set up a forwarding address from his or her Gmail account.
- Deselect the Change SMTP envelope check box if you do not want the Google Apps mail server to update the recipient address when it forwards the mail. By default, the Google Apps mail server updates the To: field of the forwarded message to the email address you entered at step 5. For example, when the mail server forwards a message addressed to email@example.com to userX@additional_destination.com, it updates the To: field to userX@additional_destination.com. Deselect the check box if you want the forwarded message to appear in the new inbox with the original address firstname.lastname@example.org in the To: field.
- To prevent this user's mail from being forwarded to any additional destinations set for the domain as a whole, deselect the Inherit routes from domain check box. Domain-level destinations are set on the Email settings page. In most cases, you want to leave this check box selected.
- To prevent this user's mail from being delivered to his or her Gmail inbox, deselect the Google Apps Email check box.
Note: Make sure you select at least one of the Destination check boxes. Otherwise, no mail for this user will be delivered.
- Click Save changes.
It can take up to an hour for the changes to propagate through Google systems.