This article is for administrators. To manage your own groups, visit the Google Groups help.This feature requires turning on Google Groups for Business.
The Google Groups directory is a browsable listing of all the groups in your G Suite account. Group members can always see the groups they belong to in the directory. As an administrator, you can control the visibility of groups to non-members for:
- All groups in your organization
- An individual group
Set the visibility of all groups in your organization
In the Google Admin console, there are two ways you can set the visibility of all of your organization’s groups. You can choose whether to:
- Make groups visible to anyone on the web or to users in your organization only
- Show or hide groups in the Groups directory
Follow the steps to make your groups visible to:
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceGroups for Business.
- Click Sharing settings.
- Check one or both boxes:
- Group owners can hide groups from the directory—Let group owners restrict group visibility. When this is selected, only group members can view the group in the Groups directory.
- Hide newly created groups from the directory—Automatically restrict new groups visibility only to members.
- Group owners can change the visibility settings for their own groups.
- The options you select here do not affect any group-level settings that an owner has already set. For example, if a group owner sets their group to be publicly visible, it remains visible even if you set the option to hide new groups from the directory.
- Group members can always see the groups they belong to in the directory.
- Click Save.
Set individual group visibility
Administrators can set visibility options for individual groups both in Groups and using APIs. Group owners and managers can set visibility options using Groups. The options available depend on the global settings chosen by the administrator.
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click the name of a group.
- On the left, click Group settings.
- Under Who can see group, select an option.
- Click Save changes.
When you create a group using the Directory API, the default for the View topics option is All members of the group. To view and update visibility settings, use the Directory API and Groups Settings API, or the third-party tool, Google Apps Manager (GAM).
For sample scripts you can customize, see GitHub.