Add a backup credit card
Applies to G Suite, Cloud Identity Premium, and other paid services managed in the Google Admin console.
To make sure your Google service runs continuously, we recommend adding a backup credit card to your Google billing account. If we try to charge your primary payment method and our charge is ever declined, we'll automatically try to charge your backup credit card. If the payment goes through, your service continues without interruption.
Add a backup card for automatic payments
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to Billing.
Next to your subscription, click Actions Access billing account.
- Under How you pay, click Manage payment methods.
- Click Add Payment Method.
- Select Add new credit or debit card. Then, enter your card number and other information.
- Click Save.
- On the Payment methods screen, click None below the card icon and select Backup.
After adding a backup credit card, you can use it to make other payments, too—for example, to cover an outstanding balance or make an advanced payment. For details, see Make a manual payment.
- G Suite and Cloud Identity Premium—Once your free trial ends and your paid subscription starts, we charge your payment method at the beginning of the following month. If your paid service starts in May, for example, we charge you at the beginning of June. After that, charges continue automatically at the beginning of each month.
- Domain registration—We start charging your payment method at the time of purchase. If you set up your domain for automatic renewal, we renew your domain 7 days before the annual renewal date and charge your payment method at the beginning of the following month.
In some countries, the billing address you specify for a payment method must be in the same country as the billing country you select when you set up your Google billing account. If that's true for your location, you can't enter any other country in a billing address—nor can you change the billing country associated with your account.
If your billing address isn't in the country you selected for your billing account, you can:
- Add a new payment method with a billing address that is in your billing account's country.
- Transfer your account to one of our Google Partners who might be able to change your billing account's country for you.
When you add a credit card, we can typically authorize and begin charging it right away. In some cases, however, this might take a few hours.
When setting up a Google billing account
Your service will start running almost immediately after you enter valid credit card information in your new billing account. However, in some circumstances it can take a few hours.
When making a manual payment
When you make a manual payment, we check with your credit card provider right away to see if your card can accept the charge. If it can, we authorize your card almost immediately for the amount of your payment.
If your account was suspended because an automatic payment was declined and you're paying off your balance to lift the suspension, service will resume once your payment is complete.
It might take several hours for the payment to appear in your transactions.