Why do I need to do this?
When someone sends a message to email@example.com, the sender's computer looks up the MX records for @your-company.com to figure out where to deliver that email message.
Before your company can use Gmail with your Google Workspace account, you need to change your domain's MX records so they direct your incoming messages to Google's mail servers.
How this works
A Beginner's Guide to Signing up for Google Workspace
Every domain (like your-company.com) has a set of DNS records that can be viewed by anyone on the internet. DNS records tell computers how to find your website and where to deliver your company's email messages.
- You'll get your new MX records from the Google Workspace setup tool.
- You'll sign in to your domain registrar, delete any existing MX records for your domain that route messages to your current email provider, and add the Google MX records.
- Once your domain registrar publishes the Google MX records, we'll activate Gmail for your domain.
Google can't change your MX records for you. Only the domain's owner can can do this.
Before you begin
This won't be easy, but we're here to help.
DNS records have been around since the beginning of the internet. This can be a challenging task, and the steps are different for each domain. We've tried to make this chore as easy as possible, but you may get frustrated.
Please read carefully, and we'll help you get through this!
Get ready to activate Gmail
- Every existing email address in your company has to be associated with a Google Workspace account. Use the setup tool to add any remaining email accounts.
- Make sure now is a good time to make this change. It can take up to 48 hours for the rest of the internet to learn about your new MX records. Your old email provider might receive some messages during this time.
You'll need to sign in to Shopify
Before you get started, make sure you have the account ID and password you need to sign in to Shopify. If you have trouble signing in to this account, you can get help from Shopify. You can also reset your Shopify password.
Open the Google Workspace setup tool
You must use the Google Workspace setup tool to complete this task. If you don't already have it open in another tab, click below to open it.
Important: We strongly suggest you follow the instructions in the setup tool and only return to this page if you need additional information.
I'm stuck and need help
I get an error when I click the blue button
The setup tool is for Google Workspace and Cloud Identity administrators only. It doesn't work with any other Google product.
Make sure you're signing in with an admin account.
It says Gmail is activated for my domain
Your MX records are already set up.
If you're reading this article because your company is having trouble receiving email:
- check these troubleshooting steps.
- review some additional problems that can interrupt email delivery.
My email address ends in @gmail.com
How to activate Gmail for Google Workspace
Tell Google Workspace to activate Gmail
You might have to wait and try again
Some registrars take longer than others to let the world know that you have a new email provider:
- If Google Workspace can't find your new MX records, come back in a couple of hours and click the Activate button again.
- After you activate Gmail, updates can take up to 48 hours. Until the rest of the internet notices your new MX records, you'll still get email messages in your old email client.