To help manage communication about your institution storage policy, we're offering the email templates below for guidance. You can customize them before sending them to your institution or school district. For example, you can include how much storage each person is using. Learn how to find out how much storage they're using
Notify users that storage limits will be enforced
Subject: [Please read] New storage limit on your account
Your account will have a storage limit of [enter storage amount here] on [enter date here] for all data in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos.
On [enter date here], [enter your institution's name here] will enforce new storage limits.
Before [enter date here], review your storage use and delete unnecessary files if needed:
- To review how much storage you use and delete large or unnecessary files in Drive, go to Drive Storage.
- To review and delete large or unnecessary files in shared drives, go to shared drives.
- To search for and delete large or unnecessary emails, follow the instructions for Gmail in Manage files in your Google Drive storage.
- [Remove if not applicable] If you need to keep any files that don't fit in your school account, you can export an archive of your Drive, Gmail, and Photos data with Google Takeout. Then delete unneeded files, messages, and attachments and empty your trash to free up storage space. Learn how to download your data into an archive
After [enter date here], you need to stay under your storage limit for your Drive, Gmail, and Photos data to keep access to these services. If your account runs out of storage, your services will be disrupted until you free up more space.
- Drive—You won’t be able to sync or upload new files. You will not be able to create new files in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, and Jamboard. Until you reduce the amount of storage you use, neither you nor anyone else can edit or copy your affected files. Syncs stop between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive
- Photos—You won’t be able to add more or back up existing photos or videos.
- Gmail–You'll still be able to send and receive email.
[Remove if not applicable] Please review our institution's Acceptable Use Policy [Link to your institution's Acceptable Use Policy] and make sure you're using data in accordance with our policies.
If you have questions about this policy, please reach out to your IT Help Desk Team.
Your friendly IT team