As an administrator, you can control how your users share files and images in Google Chat both within your organization and externally. This setting has no impact on sharing links to files. It controls Google Chat only, so it also has no impact on sending photos and videos in classic Hangouts.
Set file and image sharing for users
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsGoogle WorkspaceGoogle Chat and classic Hangouts.
- Click Chat File Sharing.
- To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit or a configuration group.
- Under External filesharing, select what files your users can share outside of your organization:
- Allow all files—Users can share all types of files.
- Images only—Users can only share images.
- No files—Users can’t share any files.
- Under Internal filesharing, select what files you users can share within your organization.
- Click Save. If you configured an organizational unit or group, you might be able to Inherit or Override a parent organizational unit, or Unset a group.
Note: If you don't allow internal file sharing but allow external file sharing, users can share files in rooms outside of your organization, which may include users from your organization.
When users send or receive files in Chat, the files are automatically scanned for viruses. If a virus is detected, a "file removed" message appears in place of the file.