It's easy to create a group for your organization. Use a group as a mailing list to send email messages or meeting invitations to multiple people at once, using the group's single email address. Or, use a group to quickly share Google documents, sites, videos, or calendars with multiple people using a single address.
See Use exception groups to learn how to use groups for isolating Apps features and settings.Ways to create groups
To create one group at a time, use either of the following:
- Admin console: An easy-to-use interface for creating groups quickly. You can add up to 25 users to the group at a time.
- My Groups: Available if you enabled the Google Groups for Business service. Provides additional, fine-grained control for setting up your groups. Learn more
To create multiple groups at once, use one of the following tools (available for Google Apps for Business and Education only):
- Google Apps Directory Sync: Use Google Apps Directory Sync to synchronize your users, groups, and contacts from a LDAP directory to Google Apps.
- Google Apps Provisioning API (2.0 or later): Provides functions for creating, retrieving, updating and deleting user accounts, nicknames, and email groups.
Learn more about using these tools to create groups
- In the Google Admin console, click Groups.
- Click the Create a new group.
- Enter a Group name. For details about permitted group names, see these tips on character usage.
- Enter an email address in the Group email address field. This address will be created upon group creation. If your organization's Google Apps account has multiple domains, select the appropriate domain from the drop-down list.
- Optionally, add a description in the Group description field.
Tip: Use the description field to help users determine the purpose of a group. For example, you can include information about who should join the group, the types of messages you should send to the group, links to FAQs about the group, related groups to use, and so on.
- Choose an Access setting. Learn more about access settings
- Click Create new group. You'll be taken to the Add members page. Follow the next steps to continue setting up your group on this page. Or, add members and set up advanced options by clicking the View in groups service link to go to the group's page in your Groups directory.
- Add the email addresses of the group's members to the text box separated by commas. Then click Add below the box. Or, to create a group that includes all users in your domain, without having to enter all their email addresses, click Add all users within your domain to the right below the text box. Learn more about creating groups with all users
- Optionally, change the group role from Member to Owner or Manager. Learn more about group roles
- Optionally, tell members about the new group by entering an invitation message and clicking Invite members. If you don't want to send an invitation, click Skip this step.
See Edit a group for detailed instructions.
After you create a group:
You may need to wait a few minutes for your new group to become "active" before sending a message to it. Otherwise, you might receive a notification that your message could not be delivered.
If the Google Groups for Business service is enabled:
Google Groups for Business is available with Google Apps for Business and Education editions. If enabled, a group you create automatically appears in your Groups directory, which all users can access. However, new entries do not appear in the directory immediately. It can take up to 24 hours for a new group to appear there. If you prefer to hide a group from the directory, you can edit the group's settings after you create it. To hide a group, you must set sharing options to allow group owners to hide groups. Learn more