Play YouTube TV using Google Home
Ready to start watching content with Google Home and YouTube TV? Learn how to set up and use YouTube TV with your Google Home.
Step 1. Set up Chromecast and your Google Home device
Step 2. Link Chromecast using the Google Home appLink TVs using the Google Home app
- Open the Google Home app .
- In the top left corner of the Home screen, tap Menu .
- Verify that the Google Account that is listed is the one linked to Google Home. To switch accounts, click the triangle to the right of the account name.
- Make sure your Chromecast is set up and on the same Wi-Fi network as Google Home.
- Tap More settings TVs and Speakers . You'll see a list of linked devices.
- To link a new Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in, tap in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- The Google Home app will search for voice-supported TVs on the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Home.
- To add a device, tap the checkbox next to the device name. You can select multiple devices. Tap Add.
- You'll see all your linked devices within the "TVs and speakers" section of the Google Home app .
Once you've linked your devices, you're ready to begin using voice commands to control YouTube TV.
- To use YouTube TV and Google Home together, sign in to the same Google account on YouTube TV and Google Home.
- If you're part of a YouTube TV family plan or sharing your Google Home with other YouTube TV members, make sure to sign in to your personal Google account on Google Home to access your own YouTube TV library and viewing preferences. Learn more about linking your Google account and your voice to Google Home.
Common voice commands
Ready to watch? Here are some things you can say to your Google Assistant on Google Home:
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then...|
|Play a live TV channel||"Play MSNBC on YouTube TV"|
Play a TV show
|"Play This Is Us on YouTube TV"
"Play the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy on YouTube TV"
"Play last night's <show>"
|Play a movie||"Play <movie> on YouTube TV"|
|Play a sports game||"Play the <MLB game> on YouTube TV"
"Play the <sports team> game on YouTube TV"
|Record a show||"Record Empire"|
|Turn of closed captions||"Turn on closed captions"|
Tips and tricks to play content on your TVTroubleshoot voice commands
If Google Home is having trouble with accuracy, try being more specific. For example, try saying the entire name of a program, the service (e.g., "...on YouTube TV"), or the name of your device, (e.g., "...on Chromecast").
If you stop playing content on Google Home by saying, "Ok Google, stop," and you want to start controlling the remote device that is currently playing, you must first say "on [device]" to the next command you make to this remote device. For example: "Ok Google, next video on TV."