When you sign up for YouTube TV, you'll be asked to share your home zip code. We may also ask you to confirm your location via your device location permissions. This requirement is to make sure you get access to the correct networks in your location.
What you can watch and record on YouTube TV is based on your home area:
- Watch programs aired over affiliate networks in your location.
- When you travel outside of your home area, you can’t watch local networks airing in your home area. You can see local programs in the location you travel to, but you can’t record anything outside of your home area.
Learn more about location requirements and how to change your location below.
- Baseball, basketball, and hockey games generally air over regional sports networks (RSNs). Add your favorite teams, leagues, or games to your library so they’ll record whenever they air.
- Football generally airs over local affiliate networks. You can watch NFL games which air over local networks in your current physical location, regardless of whether this matches the home area on your account. You can’t record any NFL games outside of your home area.
- Learn more about how to watch and record sports here.
Confirm your home area when signing up
- Content owners place restrictions on which types of content can be shown in which locations. Certain content is only available in specific areas, per requirements from our content partners. Learn more about viewing restrictions on YouTube TV.
- Your home area helps us figure out which local networks to show you. Without it, we usually can't give you your favorite local programming.
- This info helps to find local taxes on your membership.
Turn on location permissions
Change your home area:
To change your home area:
- Open YouTube TV.
- Select your profile picture Location Home Area.
- Select Update Home Area.
- You can only change your home area twice per year.
- You have to be physically in your new home area to update your home area in YouTube TV.
- If you're a frequent traveler, make sure to use YouTube TV at least once every 3 months in your home area. This check in makes sure YouTube TV can continue to offer you the correct local networks.
Update current playback area on a TV
- Open the YouTube TV app on your TV.
- Select your profile picture.
- Select Settings Area Current Playback Area.
- Besides "Current playback area", select Update.
- On your mobile device, go to tv.youtube.com/verify.
- Allow the website to access your device’s location to update your current playback area.
Update current playback area on a mobile device or web browser
- Open YouTube TV.
- Select your profile picture Location.
- Next to "Current playback area", Select Update.
Troubleshoot location permissions
Still having trouble? Location permissions might be turned off on your device. You can check by following these steps.
- Open your device's settings .
- Tap Apps and Notifications.
- Scroll to find YouTube TV in the apps list.
- Tap Permissions Location to view your current settings.
- To switch to a different setting, tap to select one of the other options listed.