/youtubemusic/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
This post is a trending issue.
FAQ: Uploading your personal library to YouTube Music 0 Recommended Answers 218 Replies 372 Upvotes
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
This article answers frequently asked questions about Uploads on YouTube Music. You can read more about this at our Help center.

Q: How do I upload music to YouTube Music?
There are two ways you can upload your files to YouTube Music. You’ll need to do this on a computer, or using a web browser on your mobile phone, since music upload isn’t an option in the YouTube Music mobile app. First, go to music.youtube.com. Then, you can either drag your music files to any surface, or you can click on your profile picture > Upload music.

Once you’ve completed the upload steps above, you’ll be able to enjoy your uploaded music in the YouTube Music app. You can upload up to 100,000 songs to your personal library. Read more about uploading music at our Help Center.

Q: Where can I find uploaded music in my YouTube Music library?
To view or manage your music, go to Library > Songs > Uploads, or Library > Albums > Uploads. Note – you might not see music that you’ve uploaded right away. It takes a bit of time to process, so there might be a small delay before songs start to show up in your library, even after you’ve successfully uploaded. This is normal, and your music should start to gradually appear in your library. You’ll get an email when your upload is complete. To see your uploads, make sure you’re using version 3.51 or later of the YouTube mobile app.  

Q: Can I listen to my uploaded songs offline with a free subscription?
You can play uploaded songs in the background, ad-free and offline - even if you are not currently a YouTube Music Premium subscriber. Note – Uploading your files to YouTube Music doesn’t mean you’ll automatically have access to them when you’re offline. To access your uploaded music offline, you’ll need to upload your songs first, and then download them on the device you’ll be using for offline playback. 

Q: Can I listen to my uploaded songs using background play with a free subscription?
You can play uploaded songs in the background on your mobile phone or on the web, ad-free and offline - even if you are not currently a YouTube Music Premium subscriber.

Q: Will my uploaded songs stream at its original quality?
Yes you can! Those on free YouTube Music subscriptions can pick from low or normal quality playback, while those on paid YTM subscriptions can additionally choose high quality playback. More at our Help Center

Q: Will YTM integrate my uploaded songs with my library?
Once you upload your music, you can view and manage it at Library > Songs > Uploads, or Library > Albums > Uploads. While your uploads sit in a separate section within your library, you can easily integrate it with your other saved music using playlists. Anyone on YouTube Music can create a playlist containing both uploaded music and songs from YouTube Music!

– Hazel (TeamYouTube)
Most Relevant Answer Most Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (218)
Most Relevant Answer
Transferred all my music over from Play Music... All Playlists/Albums/Artists show in YouTube Music... Can't download Playlist of my own uploaded music (get 'Download this playlist with Music Premium' popup)... I created Playlists of my music by Genre (to download all at once instead of by Album/Artist)... Can download by Album (no option for by Artist)... any suggestions?
marked this as an answer
Most relevant based on info available
Most Relevant Answer
I think it is ridiculous that uploaded albums/songs have to live and can only be played separately from other albums/songs by the same artists from the YTMusic library. The whole point of manually uploading songs is to add music to my library that I own that is not available on YTMusic, but have it all live in one place.

For example: Artist X has 10 albums, but only the last 6 are available on YTMusic, so I upload the first four albums from my computer. Now I have all 10 albums in YTMusic, but if I just want to "shuffle Artist X," I can only shuffle the 6 YTMusic albums or the 4 Uploaded albums -- I can't shuffle all 10. And I have to remember which ones are uploaded and which ones are subscribed when I go looking for specific albums. That's goofy.

Now, I understand that I can make a playlist to do this, but I shouldn't have to. Google Play Music did this perfectly, and this ability needs to be brought over to YTMusic.

Being able to see which songs/albums have been Uploaded is definitely a good feature (that wasn't as easy on GPMusic), but it shouldn't affect interacting with my Library. My Library should contain subscribed albums and uploaded songs all in one place, not in separate tabs/sections.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
Regarding downloading your own uploads for offline playback...

Yes you can do this, but NOT at playlist level, so if you have a playlist of 500 songs you've uploaded yourself, you can't download this playlist without being a Premium subscriber. You can download the songs one at a time, but because you don't allow multiple selection of songs in lists you have to do this track by track. 

Just saying so everyone is absolutely clear on the utter stupidity of this.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
Can I download my own songs into my own android phone for offline listening as per Play Music, free?
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
Will there also be a desktop upload tool just like Google Play Music Manager? https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/1075570?hl=en-GB

Always found this useful uploading anything new from a folder automatically in the background - manually uploading everything isn’t exactly great...
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
Unless I'm missing something, the article is wrong or there's a bug in the app.  This Q&A combo:
Q: Can I listen to my uploaded songs offline with a free subscription?
You can play uploaded songs in the background, ad-free and offline - even if you are not currently a YouTube Music Premium subscriber. You can also cast uploaded content, or play it from smart speakers and Sonos.

I have tried casting from my uploads, both at a playlist and song level.  It does not work and prompts me to upgrade to Youtube Premium.  Hopefully this is just a bug or there's some other mechanism to do this, as you could cast your uploaded music for free via Google Play Music.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
As Mike said above

"Artist X has 10 albums, but only the last 6 are available on YTMusic, so I upload the first four albums from my computer. Now I have all 10 albums in YTMusic, but if I just want to "shuffle Artist X," I can only shuffle the 6 YTMusic albums or the 4 Uploaded albums -- I can't shuffle all 10. And I have to remember which ones are uploaded and which ones are subscribed when I go looking for specific albums. That's goofy."

There is also no 'Last Added' playlist so there is no way to quickly see the music you just uploaded. You literally have to go through it one by one and you can't edit the ID3/Meta Data if its wrong.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
There was always one problem with Google Play Music that bothered me, and YouTube Music has somehow managed to make it worse; with Google Play Music there's no official way to download your whole music library in one go, instead, you have to rely on either individually downloading each song in your library, or individually download each album in your library, which for someone with 2000+ songs in their library can take a really long time. 

However, at least with Google Play Music there is an unofficial method you can use to make downloading your whole library a lot easier, all you have to do is use the desktop site to create multiple playlists with 1000 songs from your library in each playlist (1000 songs being the limit for a Google Play Music playlist), and then just mark each playlist for download on your chosen device(s). You still have to press the 3 dot menu and then select download, but rather than doing it for hundreds of albums, you're only doing it for a few playlists. And because of how the Google Play Music app works, any new song you put in a playlist that you haven't maxed out will be automatically downloaded to any device that has that playlist marked for download.

With YouTube Music however, this doesn't seem to work; from what I can tell YouTube Music allows you to download playlists, but it won't join the dots between what's in your uploaded albums or songs, and what's in your downloaded playlist; it knows the files have been downloaded, but it won't let you access them unless you do it through the playlist, or mark the album for download. I'm still trying out some workarounds but for the time being it looks like the only way to get all of your transferred Google Play Music Library stored onto your device without losing the ability to navigate through your albums whilst offline is to mark every album for download. 

I have no idea why Google seems to hate the idea of a "Mark All" option that could easily solve this problem (even the Gmail Android and iOS apps suffer from the lack of a very basic "Mark All" option, but that's another story), but I think such an option would be incredibly beneficial for people with large music libraries and lots of storage to spare.

UPDATE: based on the tests I've done, it looks like the standard Albums, Songs, Artists, and Playlist Library sections, as well as the search menu cannot function without an internet connection. This means that if you download any playlists or albums and then suddenly lose your internet connection, you'll be forced to use the download section of the library, which unfortunately clusters every album, song, or playlist into one big list and only gives you quick access to whatever was downloaded or used most recently. This is simply a ridiculous downgrade; just because people are more connected to the internet doesn't mean there's less need for failsafes, the only functionality that should be lost from an internet outage is the ability to stream, browse, download songs that are online, and the ability to upload music to an online library; basic digital audio player functionality has no reason to be taken away during an internet outage. I think Google really need to work on either adding basic library navigation to the download section, or they need to work on making the library navigation system they've got in place completely capable of functioning offline.
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
As Kit Lake mentioned the article is misleading in saying you could cast uploaded music freely. 

At https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en it is mentioned that "YouTube Music Premium members can also cast uploaded content or play it from smart speakers and Sonos."

And this is why i came here. Why on earth is this so? I can't play the music i've bought through speakers of my choice?! This needs to be corrected. I'm currently looking at other options for my music playing needs because of this. You're forcing a subscription on people, very uncool of you.  

E.g. i'm at my friends house who uses chromecast to play music. So i can't play music there i've bought without a subscription? Insane. 

Please fix this. 

Thanks
marked this as an answer
Most Relevant Answer
Exactly,  YouTube music is horrible.  Please bring back Google Play Music or at least make YTM function like Google Play Music. I've had issues using all of my purchased music!
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtubemusic/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic