You can manage your child’s YouTube Kids profile settings from three places:
- Your child’s YouTube Kids profile
- Parent settings in YouTube Kids
- Parent settings in your linked parent account’s YouTube settings
What settings can a parent or a child change?
|Settings||Parent can control||Kid can control|
|Birth month / Age||Y||N|
|Search: On / Off||Y||N|
|Secret code||N, but parent can reset||Y|
|Pause watch history||Y||N|
|Pause search history||Y||N|
|Background play on / off||Y||N|
|Save over Wi-Fi only||Y||N|
|Storage limits for offline videos (Premium only)||Y||N|
|App music / Sound effects||N||Y|
|Subtitles & closed captions on / off||Y||Y|
|Subtitle font / color||Y||N|
|Autoplay||Y||Y (unless autoplay is disabled by a parent)|
Instructions for parents
You can change these settings at any time from Parent Settings in YouTube Kids or from your linked parent account’s YouTube settings.
To change the settings for your child’s profile from YouTube Kids:
- Select the Lock in the corner of your screen.
- Complete the multiplication problem or enter your custom passcode.
- Select Settings .
- Note: There are some device settings, such as Cast and Custom Passcode, that you can change without selecting your child’s profile.
- Select your child’s profile and enter your parent account password.
To change the settings for your child’s profile from YouTube:
- Sign in to YouTube with your linked parent account.
- Go to your profile picture .
- Select Settings .
- Select Parent Settings.
- Select your child’s profile or account.
- Select your avatar in the corner of your screen.
- Select Edit next to your avatar.
- If you’re on a mobile device, you can select a different avatar, change your name, or tap Settings for more options, like app music and secret code.
- If you’re on a computer, you can select a different avatar, change your name, and change other settings
You can also turn Casting, Captions, and Autoplay on or off with content controls:
- Start playing any video in YouTube Kids.
- To cast to a different device, select Cast in the top corner of the app.
- To turn on Captions, select More Closed Caption to choose the language for your subtitles.
2. To turn on Autoplay, select Autoplay . If you’re on a mobile device, select More Autoplay to turn on Autoplay.
- If you turn on Disable autoplay, your child can no longer turn on Autoplay.