We've built YouTube Kids to be a family-friendly place for children to explore their interests. We use a mix of algorithmic filtering, user input and human review to figure out what videos should be available in YouTube Kids:
- Videos on the homescreen go through an extra level of quality control via human review.
- Our algorithm chooses the videos displayed in Search and Recommended.
Though our system has been rigorously tuned and tested, no algorithm is perfect, and even a perfect algorithm isn't the same as your judgement. It's possible that your child may find content in the app that you may not want your child to come across. If this happens, you can block or report the video. We take these reports seriously and use them to improve the app for everyone.
There are also various settings and controls available for you to customise your child's experience:
- You can block videos or channels.
- You can use the 'Approved content only' setting. In this setting, your child can only watch videos, channels and collections that you've hand-picked.
- You can share videos and channels from the YouTube app to your child's account.
- You can turn off Search using Parental settings.
When you turn off search, your child is limited to:
- Videos from a set of channels verified by YouTube Kids, and
- Any videos or channels you share with them from YouTube.