Video thumbnails let viewers see a quick snapshot of your video. You can choose from the options YouTube automatically generates, or you can upload your own if your account is verified.
Add custom or automatic thumbnails
- Open the YouTube Studio app .
- From the bottom menu, tap Content .
- Select the video you want to edit.
- Tap Edit Edit thumbnail .
- Select your thumbnail:
- Select one of three auto-generated thumbnails.
- Tap Custom thumbnail to upload a custom video thumbnail from an image on your device.
- Confirm your thumbnail selection and tap SELECT.
- Tap SAVE.
Custom thumbnail best practices
Image size resolution
Your custom thumbnail image should be as large as possible since it will also be used as the preview image in the embedded player.
- 1280x720 resolution (with minimum width of 640 pixels)
- JPG, GIF, BMP, or PNG image formats
- Under the 2MB limit
- 16:9 aspect ratio
All custom thumbnail images must follow our Community Guidelines. Your thumbnails may be rejected and a strike on your account when it contains:
- Nudity or sexually provocative content
- Hate Speech
- Harmful or dangerous content