/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Why do I have a claim against music that is apparently in the Public Domain ??
I have a video that uses portions of the tune 'Gonna Make You Sweat (everybody Dance Now)' which was posted back in 2008 (in fact it is my very first video) & a company called InGrooves SME has filed a copyright claim against it & therefore the video is now blocked in all territories, HOWEVER according to 'commons.wikimedia.org' this song is 'is in the public domain because copyright of the typographical arrangement of this edition in the United Kingdom and Spain expired after twenty-five years of first public release.'.

I Live in the UK so my understanding is that I can use the song.
There are also many other videos on Youtube that ALSO use the song - some using the WHOLE song (mine only uses parts of the song - mainly chorus)

I don't/didn't monetize it, had no plans to - & it was purely for entertainment.

Why did I get the claim & is there any way to remove the block & get the video back up on my channel

I tried contacting the company using their 'Youtube Video Claim' link on their webpage but never got a reply, so I think they are just ignoring me

Can anyone explain why this has happened & what can I do to get the video back
(Incidentally - can't really change the music as the animation will only fit the music being played, if I used a Creative Commons or royalty free music it probably just wont match up & ruin the video)
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (6)
Relevant Answer
so many misunderstandings in there.
  • First, "typographical arrangement" does not refer to music recordings, it merely refers to the layout of the text and images on a page
  • Second, YouTube is a worldwide site, so you can't just refer to a couple of countries.
  • Third, the copyright for music compositions in the UK is  'Life of the composer + 70 years' 
  • Fourth, the copyright for music recordings in the UK is 70 years
  • In the US, the copyright for sound recordings is 95 years. 
That song is definitely NOT in the public domain. As your song was released in 1990, the recording won't be in the public domain until 2085.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Seems like I was totally wrong about everything. Shows I'm just small fry doing the occasional video & not knowing anything about music & copyright

Still doesn't explain how there are hundreds of other videos on YouTube that using the song, yet those aren't 'claimed' & blocked. 

Is there ANY way I could use the music clips & not get blocked - do those other video know of a trick to bypass such claims?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The choice is up to the copyright owner, so you would have to ask them. They can choose to block some videos and not others. For example, they may block videos that use too much of their song, or they may block videos that use too little of the song. There can be any number of reasons.

How do you know other videos aren't blocked? You wouldn't see those because...they would be  blocked (this is known a survivorship bias)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
US MMA 2018 federal law now extended sound recordings to 100 years.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

القناة أو إنهاء الحساب
إذا تم إنهاء قناتك أو حسابك ، فقد لا تتمكن من استخدام أو إنشاء أو إنشاء قنوات / حسابات أخرى على YouTube. عند إنهاء القناة ، يتلقى القناة بريدًا إلكترونيًا يشرح سبب الإنهاء.
عمليات إنهاء
أسباب الإنهاء القنوات أو الحسابات:
  • المعارض الخاصة بشاشات    العرض والتعليق على الكراهية و / أو  مضايقة  .
  • حالة من الإساءة الشديدة (مثل  السلوك العدواني  أو   البريد العشوائي  أو المواد الإباحية)
  • القنوات أو الحسابات لانتهاك السياسة (مثل الكلام الذي يحض على الكراهية أو المضايقة أو انتحال الهوية)
إذا كنت تعتقد أنه تم إنهاء استئناف استئناف  هذا النموذج  .
  • طلب استئناف أكثر من مرة. تزيد الطلبات المتعددة من حجم المراجعة في استجابتنا.
  • املأ النموذج الكامل قدر قدر متضمنًا  معرّف قناتك  . كلما زادت المعلومات التي تم الحصول عليها من الأسهل معالجة.
إنهاء حقوق الطبع والنشر
إذا تم إنهاء قناتك بسبب مطالبات بانتهاك حقوق الطبع والنشر وتعتقد أن هذه المكونات غير صحيحة ، ومن الخطأ تقديم  مضاد  . هذه الصورة متاحة متاحة لمنشئي المحتوى الذي يظهر في بيئات الحبر. يمكنك إرسال إشعار بشكل  حر.
معرض الصور والمعارض ، تفضل بزيارة  مركز حقوق الطبع والنشر  .
ملاحظة: يؤدي تقديم إشعار مضاد إلى بدء إجراء
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@longzijun.
Perhaps there are videos that are blocked but if you search YouTube for the song in question, you can get results from individuals other than 'official music video'.. How did they not get caught? Is there some 'teick' they do to avoid getting caught? 

As for the company - over a year I've been sending a request/email to ask why only me & how may I get my video back, but as I said in op - they're just seem to be ignoring me
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtube/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic