/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Upcoming changes to kids content on YouTube.com
7/13/21 Update: 
In the coming months, we’ll be introducing some new features across supervised accounts and ‘made for kids’ content to help further distinguish certain video advertising content from organic content. This means your child may see an ad bumper (to alert them when an advertisement is starting and ending) before and after a video ad is shown. If they click an ad, there will be a disclaimer to let them know they are navigating away from YouTube. We're first testing with a small percentage of people to help us find potential issues and fix them before rolling out more broadly. 

1/6/20 Update:
Starting today, certain features that rely on user data, such as comments and personalized advertising, will no longer be available on content made for kids. This is to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). You can see a full list of features that will be limited or turned off on content that is made for kids in this Help Center article.

You can read more on the YouTube blog and we’ll continue to keep this thread updated with answers to top questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** 11/12/19 ACTION REQUIRED FOR ALL CREATORS - COMPLYING WITH COPPA ***

Note: Regardless of your location, all creators are legally required to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and/or other laws.

Starting today, all creators will be required to indicate whether or not their content is made for kids. To help you do this, we’re rolling out a new audience setting in YouTube Studio. 

We’ll also use machine learning to help us identify kids content – so don’t be alarmed if your audience has already been set for you by YouTube. You should still review your videos and make sure the audience setting is correct for all content on your channel. If you need help determining whether or not your content is made for kids, see our Help Center or consult legal counsel.

Starting in January, we’ll limit the data we collect on made for kids content to comply with the law. This means we’ll start disabling certain features like comments, notifications, and others. You may see some small changes before then as we experiment and refine our systems over the next few months. These tests help us find potential issues and fix them before rolling out more broadly, and is standard practice for platform changes.

More info to help get you started with today’s YouTube Studio updates: 
  • To bulk update all existing videos at once and set a default for future uploads, use the channel level setting. Go to Settings > Channel > Advanced settings > Audience and then choose an option that best describes your channel. Detailed instructions here.

• If some of your videos don’t align with your channel-level setting, you can select a different setting at the video level. Go to Videos > Select video(s) > Edit > Audience. Detailed instructions here.

• Even creators who don’t make content for kids should set their audience as “not made for kids” at the channel level. This also helps ensure our automated systems make the right decisions for your videos.

• For videos with an audience setting of made for kids, personalized ads will show as disabled in YouTube Studio starting today, but personalized ads won’t actually be disabled until we start testing and rolling out the changes to limit data collection (which is happening separately). 
For more, check out this YouTube Creators video and our Help Center.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/4/19 Announcement

Today we announced important steps we’re taking to help us better protect data on kids content on YouTube. This includes several upcoming changes to kids content on YouTube.com that will go into effect in the upcoming months. You can read the full update on the YouTube blog

We’ll keep this thread updated with answers to top questions, and any additional information and resources over the coming months.

- Sarah (TeamYouTube)
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (895)
Relevant Answer
Welp. No children for me. Jokes aside I can see this being helpful for parents
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

My channel is entirely dedicated to children,
And you are basically saying that we will not be able to monetize content for kids? after years of work and millions of subscribers? YouTube kids income is insignificant compared to the YouTube platform, it will not be worth adding material for such a small income.
the real affected are the producers because of your lack of control or rather your hunger for control ... We would like to know what solutions are you going to give ? many of your most important channels are for children and by eliminating profits I don't think it is still business.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Get a job, Eric. YouTube owes you nothing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Its pretty good but hello
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Cable monopolies win again! Nickelodeon, Disney, Cartoon Network, PBS, and all major companies like ABC,CBS, FOX and many others with their dedicated time slots will continue to run ads dedicated for such age groups, racking in billions while personal talented creators get left in the dust. There is no such thing as web neutrality anymore after recent administration and FTC pocketing. I'm confused by this ruling and decision by you tube to cut off what has made them relevant in such age group in the first place.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks you
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Simple We Understand Youtube Avoiding Kids Content
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
 How will YouTube identify kids content on YouTube.com? 

• Creators will be required to tell us (in Studio) when their content falls into a kids category 
Where can i do this?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
good reply
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ms. Sarah, I think it would not be helpful...because kids already know this youtube channel they will click and click this...if you removed all kids channel in the youtube...maybe they will look for other videos to watch that are age-restricted....
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
If you have some content for kids and some not for kids, will the entire channel be affected or only individual videos? I already got all my comments taken away because my kids are in a lot of my videos...but even the videos with just me can't have comments. Will we have to go back to our old videos and say which are for kids and which are not? Or just for the new ones?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
How would this affect creators who make content for  toy collectors who are adults? Just wondering if this has been considered. Thank you.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
looks like i'm going to give up making content for my channel soon.
Do not worry. I'll be back when i am old enough.. That is if YT will still exist.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Question? I have Gacha Life and Roblox. So this means so you guys don't do this we have to start swearing in our videos to make them less Kid-Friendly......
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Also if you guys are gonna do this I wouldn't say anything when all the good YouTubers leave and go to Twitch and Mixer. Because some people not on swearing in their videos. And YouTube money pays for their bills you know. Doing this can kill their whole career. So not only are you guys messing up our dreams. Your messing your selves up. And YouTube are some people lives and a lot of  13+ like kid videos. And then adding on to that if you do this you're gonna make Roblox less popular and then same for all the other games. So your also destroying the Internet....I hope you guys think your doing the right thing here because I just spoke for Billions of people who all think the same thing. We don't want to start cursing so were gonna leave or you guys change your minds and don't do it at all. Also this is not "Protecting YouTube" its destroying it and now those "KIDS" will go for "NON-KID FRIENDLY VIDEOS" so their gonna be watching stuff and get into that stuff. So minus well just delete YouTube eh. You People Are Destroying Yourselves!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My YouTube videos are for all ages, not just children. Theyre for everyone to watch. I don't just gear towards kids, I might have a bit of sitback comedy videos as well.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So, i make videos talking about anime and playing games specially pokemon. However, my channel's target audience are teens and young adults who grew up paying those games. Also, i don't monetize any of my videos, since i do it for fun and entertaining only. Will my channel still be affected?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
My kids and I have been working so hard lately on creative kid-friendly content for their channels.  It has been a fun thing for us to do together and they are so proud of their final product when it's posted to their channels.  Of course, they are also in it to build an audience and eventually monetize their channels.  Are you saying that they can no longer monetize at all? I'm confused, so if you could please clarify the monetization part that would be helpful.  If they truly cannot ever monetize their videos then I guess we will (sadly) have to switch to a new platform.  Surely there must be a way to comply with the new law and still allow kids to monetize their videos.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for all
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks all
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
about time this update came
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks to YouTube many help me
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Good source
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What about custom doll channels will they be allowed to continue content, regardless if they monetize. I just started my channel and don't want to monetize my videos. Will children be able to see my work and will comments be allowed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
How will a computer know the difference between a barbie and a collector doll/figure or a BJD that is not made for children? Will there be a process to have our channel reviewed?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Pleas review my channel media Pakuhaji
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
l like my late night sets so no one is offended and always follow content  policy but sometimes we get lost in a set and can be lost in a certain song
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is very unfair to the hard working content creators! Kids can find and watch stuff they should not be if they want. Get real! The internet is full of things for them to find. It is the parents job to us parental control software on their kids devices if they are concerned! Don't punish all the hard working good clean children's content creators!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is no fair for many content creators. I know it's a way to keep children safe but giving the creator a punishment. This would never have happened if parents would watch their kids. Kids aren't supposed to be allowed on YouTube anyway if they're not 13+. There has got to be another way to do this. Now it's understandable how some people are sick and to protect children and teens is great, but judging if your a kid by what videos you watch shouldn't really count.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
YouTube say that creators know their content best.... But we have an AI just in case they have no idea about their content. I say all YouTuber boycott YouTube for well $170 million is made off of YouTube creators in 11 hours (or 2 days? ) So say a week and YouTube will hear our voices. We make YouTube what it is. Without creators YouTube is just Network TV
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
if the content I produce is aimed at older audiences and designate it as such but:

1. for some reason a lot of kids end up watching it despite them not being the target audience. does that make my video targeted at kids?

2. I use background images, cartoon clips or whatnot because it that stuff gets the point across (describing a case of greed and having a clip of Mr. Krabs in a literal money shower in he background to emphasis the greed)... whats to stop the bot/AI/machine learning  from viewing my entire video as targeted at kids because of that one clip or several similar clips used then hitting my channel with a rule violation and penalties?

side note: why not collect only the age and which country they reside in from a user, if they fall under below 13 years of age nothing further will be collected and if older then you can collect more?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's one hit after another from Youtube on hard working content creators, when you enjoy monopoly its very easy to sleepwalk
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Well my kids have there OWN YOUTUDE CHANNEL  MY PERSONAL PIC AND VIDEOS... NOW PLEASE OR GIVE ME A CAUSE CAUS EI HA E HAD THEM FOR YEARS.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
thank you so much everyone
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Not on play account yutube
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ummmm....So I have a youtube channel,its not monetized.I create roblox videos but i dont target certain aged people..Some of them are like speed builds and others arefewslightly funny and types of things.Is it gonna affect me?I just have 121 subs..Please answer me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's good, my parents help me.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you for the support  everyone 
Hope you have a nice day
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Message me as soon as you can got a ?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
So you're telling me that make videos with a toy it's automatically kid friendly. You're going to be taking away all of the things that make YouTube YouTube. My audience won't be able to comment they won't be able to press the notifications and they will be able to give me likes. I also can't have ads. There's a thing called Kid YouTube for a reason. I hate this parents should monitor their kids not us. It's not our fault that they made bad decisions by letting their kid explore the entire darn web. We are creators and I'll pay for that by taking away our abilities from YouTube because we just so happen to make videos with toys or something that apparently to you is kid friendly. I disagree with this because you can say it's not kidfriendly so then kids can't watch but then if it is kid-friendly you don't have anything that YouTube offers you. It's ridiculous. 
I apologize if I wrote anything wrong
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am wondering what the guidelines will be. My toy and learning channel has been significantly impacted by some recent changes. If it had views, up to 1.5 million a day, it means that kids liked it....subscriptions went up and many positive comments, eg kids learning English, fun etc...but, the channel drastically dropped. Now the views are only 15000 per day.  I spent a year building this channel up and now, nothing. Are you going to give creators the information needed to make their channels viable. My channel is already monetised. Will you be taking that away? Will you be taking all kids channels off regular YouTube and only having kids content on kids YouTube? Have you flagged the channels and there will be now hope for them ? Will we need to make a new channel with different content?  When will you let the creators know what is actually going to happen and how we can actually fix our channels to make them compliant  and will you let us know, and in what manner this will occur? Direct email? An announcement on your blog? Will there be a way to still keep our channel as a business when the new changes (Creators really need to know what new changes ) come in? Really need more information please. And the sooner the better really.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
your helpful youtube
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
your so helpful youtube
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Eamine thank you
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Old yutube
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
What if my videos use toys like, “Barbies And Bratz dolls” but my video demographic is for young adults? They are stop motions and are not written for children. My “stop motion skits”, DO NOT fit in on the YouTube kids app but you said “toys could be considered as kids content”. 

You also stated that creators know their content more than anyone else and I know that I have an adult audience that watches my videos. So where do I fit in all of this? 

Do I just stop making these videos. They are for comedy purposes and are clean with no cursing or sexual nature but I have funny crude jokes in them that would not be good for children to watch.

Please. I just want to know where I fit in. This is my recreation, a way to take a break from my life and just put a smile on people’s faces. My audience wants me to continue the videos but I just need to know how to handle it so I don’t get in trouble with YouTube.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Sir pls content no
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Its a very thankful your channel and good
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I don't need such type of videos
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
How will this impact hobbiest toy restoration videos?  Obviously, they contain toys, but the restoration is not child based.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
please can you answer a few questions  for me.

1) How can we tell youtube that  our channel is aimed at a younger audience as nothing shows in studio?

2) can channels aimed at a younger audience still be monetized?

3)how come we cannot create playlists of our content? i understand the comments not being allowed however not a playlist? Surley if someone is watching the content it is what they have been looking for?

4) what forms of income will we be able to generate for creating content for youtube? Surley you cannot expect people to allow you to use there hard work for free?

5) There are many more questions from the brief press release will youtube be expanding on it soon?

6) what about videos aimed at children too young to understand advertising?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
NO I WANT MORE KID VIDS I WANT RYGUYROCKY TO MAKE MORE DAYCARE VIDS   BOYCOTT YOUTUBE FOR KID VIDS!!!!!!!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why I make video
marked this as an answer
This reply is off topic.
Relevant Answer
Send
 30 minister
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
why are you guys taking the you, out of youtube and shouldn't it be the parent's job to keep track of what their kids are watching not youtube I have a favourite youtuber that repaints dolls and now that would only be considered for kids, and I know kids wouldn't be interested in that, kids are interested in cartoons not much else
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Things should change about kids stuff on The Site, Because gamers don't like it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It's very nice
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
well thanks
marked this as an answer
This reply is off topic.
Relevant Answer
Podinath shira
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Why not try getting rid of those weird mickey mouse videos?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ability to whitelist channels and videos is exactly what youtube kids needed from the parent/client side.  That being said, due to the algorithm (or new practices implemented here) a lot of GOOD kids' content is missing from youtube kids for seemingly no reason.  Apart from it being "hurtful" to creators that their videos would not get explored, is there any chance that some of these restrictions could be relaxed if the "only approved content" is selected on the kids profile.  Lets be honest the only way to truly prevent crap from getting to your kids app is to use the whitelist feature.  Can we leave that mode out of all this restriction?