/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Update to YouTube Dislike Counts Announcement
Hi everyone, 

Earlier this year, we experimented with the dislike count to see whether or not changes could help better protect creators from harassment, and reduce dislike attacks – where people work to drive up the number of dislikes on a creator’s videos.

What we learned from the experiment: 
Those in the experiment could still see and use the public dislike button, but because the count was not visible to them, we found that they were less likely to target a video’s dislike button to drive up the count. In short, our experiment data showed a reduction in dislike attacking behavior 1. We’ve also heard directly from smaller creators, and those just getting started with their YouTube channel, that they are unfairly targeted by dislike attacks. Our experiment data confirmed that this behavior does occur at a higher proportion on smaller channels. 

What’s changing with dislikes starting today: 
Based on what we learned, we’re moving forward with making the dislike count private across YouTube–this means that the dislike button is staying, but the number of dislikes on a video will only be available to creators in Studio and not visible to the public on the video’s page. This change is gradually rolling out starting today. 

Here’s what to expect based on how you use YouTube: 
  • Creators: You’ll still be able to find your exact dislike counts in YouTube Studio for each video–only if you’d like to. Creators will still be able to find their exact dislike counts in YouTube Studio if they would like to understand how their content is performing. There are many other metrics available to help you analyze your video and channel performance, so review this Help Center Guide that covers YouTube Analytics tools and reports (especially recommend visiting the “Engagement tab” in Studio and checking out key moments for audience retention).
  • Viewers: You can still dislike videos to further personalize and tune your recommendations, the only change is you won’t be able to view the number of dislikes on the video. We understand that some of you have used dislikes to help decide whether or not to watch a video–still, we believe this is the right thing to do for our platform, and to help create an inclusive and respectful environment where creators have the opportunity to succeed and feel safe to express themselves.
  • Developers: If you’re using the YouTube API for dislikes, you will no longer have access to public dislike data beginning on December 13th. Your end users will still be able to view dislike data related to their own content on authenticated API requests. You can apply for an exemption (to have dislike data on non-authenticated calls) as long as you don’t display or share dislike data with your end users.
For more top questions and answers about this experiment and today’s update, hear directly from YouTube’s Creator Liaison Matt Koval in this YouTube video: Update to YouTube's Dislike Count

As always, I’ll be monitoring questions and feedback in the comments below. 
-Meaghan, TeamYouTube
--
1 Analysis conducted July 2021
Latest Update Latest Updates (1)
Relevant Answer
Hi everyone, 

Jumping in to share answers to a few top FAQS. Please see below:
--
Q: This feels like censorship. For many, the dislike button was informative and way to express feedback.
A: If it helps, you can still dislike a video, and creators will see this feedback privately in Studio if they choose to look up the dislike count metric. We are not removing the ability to dislike content. 

While we understand and respect that not everyone welcomes this change, it’s an important step to reduce behavior that aims to silence and harass creators, especially smaller creators and channels just getting started on YouTube. Please feel free to watch the YouTube Creator Liason video for more background, information from our earlier experiment, and other details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOuG8jMIgI

Q: This isn't about protecting small content creators, it's about protecting big brands/advertisers.
A: We see why some folks might think that though it’s absolutely not the case. We are making the dislike count private to protect our creators by reducing targeted dislike attacks on their channels.

Q: YouTube is doing this in response to YouTube Rewind 2018 
A: We *have* learned the hard way how it feels to get a lot of dislikes ;) but no, this change is about protecting our creators, especially those smaller creators and channels just trying to get started on YouTube.
--
We will continue to monitor your feedback and reply to questions as needed. We appreciate you being a part of our community and sharing your thoughts on this launch with us. 

Thank you!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (1286)
Relevant Answer
This is fundamentally a form of censorship and I am very unhappy about it. For me the dislike button was informative. If feels like they are trying to create a world where everything can only be good, better, even more better, which just doesn't represent reality.
Imagine Stack Overflow only having the option to upvote Questions and Answers. The ratio of likes vs dislikes of a TED talk does help me to decide if I should stop watching a video which just isn't getting better.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This isn’t about small content creators. It’s almost certainly about big brands (advertisers) that hate it when their high budget movie/game/trailer/whatever gets publicly downvoted.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yet another good reason to avoid youtube, since this interferes with my ability to quickly assess which videos on technical things are worth watching.

Youtube has become more interested in making life easy for brands on youtube than on helping actual viewers. So it goes. Bye. (I was a subscriber. Now I won't be.)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I dislike this post. I note that you only provide an "upvote" for your content as well, how convenient.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Downvoting this!! This is withdrawing one of the key signals the public has. Justifying this anti-information by saying that some were hurt by it doesn't justify putting Youtube viewers into perpetual dark. Stop feeding us this junk.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Sir please support me viral my short Video please
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Sir please support me viral my short Video please sir Tr deepakyt
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Can we see the raw experiment data itself?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Phew good change! Now nobody will remember the dislikes on YouTube Rewind 2018
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
with all due respect this has really hurt individuals who rely on certain jobs such as auto repair to help guide us to a more informative video in respect to how informative it is. Youtube does not understand the impact this is having on blue collar jobs and small businesses that are usually time pressed when needing to find accurate info on a video. seeing dislikes often helped us to filter out troll videos or ones with misinformation or inaccurate repair processes. Now when tasked with needing to know what is helpful or not im pretty much left in the dark. we use youtube a lot on the worksite and it was a great tool for us to rely on , this move has been pretty hurtful for our job.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtube/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic