/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
"May you always do for others, and let others do for you" ~Bob Dylan
A: Has your Google Workspace for Education user account-owned YouTube channel disappeared recently?
If you are a Google Workspace for Education user account holder, ie over 18, a teacher or other staff at an academic institution, then you might recently have had your YouTube product* disappear on you, and now need help with (hopefully) getting it back. 

*To explain the term "YouTube product" mentioned above, and why I make the distinction-  YouTube channels (the bit with the video uploads and such, the public-facing part of a YouTube account) can either be for:
  • personal use, directly on the Google Account, Google Workspace user accounts or, in the case of academic users, on Google Workspace for Education user accounts.  These are best described as personal "YouTube channels".
  • non-personal use and linked to the Google Account/Google Workspace user account/Google Workspace for Education user account's Brand Account.  These are termed "YouTube Brand Accounts".
It is important to know which one you have/had, because YouTube channels and YouTube Brand Account are treated differently by Google Workspace for Education (from here on in referred to as "GWfE").

To explain what has happened in recent weeks in regard to YouTube products belonging to GWfE user account holders:

GWfE admin settings in regard to YouTube were set to under 18 in the second major remodelling of the relationship between GWfE and YouTube in under three years (more on that in a moment).  This meant that GWfE users were suddenly finding it necessary to verify themselves as old enough to own a YouTube channel with their GWfE user account going forward.  And this involved their GWfE admin setting their users's ages to 18+ from their end. 

This remodelling of the relationship between GWfE and YouTube impacted GWfE user account holders in two possible ways:
  1. Those with personal YouTube channels found that these were suddenly deemed "not available" and their uploaded videos being "private".
  2. But those with non-personal YouTube Brand Accounts found that either-
    1. their YouTube Brand Accounts "do not exist" and their uploaded videos showed the message that the videos were not available because the user had closed their accounts, or-
    2. that they could see their YouTube Brand Accounts but these now showed grey strike-through avatars and had become completely unusable.
1)  The solution for those with personal YouTube channels is as follows:
  1. ensure that your GWfE admin sets your GWfE user account to 18+. 
  2. using a computer/browser, sign into the Google Account or Google Workspace user account which you own the YouTube channel with and-
  3. click on the avatar top right.
  4. In the drop-down menu please select Settings,
  5. and on the resulting page please select Add or manage your channel(s).
  6. Next create a YouTube channel, following instructions.
This will reactivate/unhide your YouTube channel.

Here is the official link from YouTube on this:  https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/10977326 where the section Download and save your videos and content is of relevance.

2)  The issue with those with non-personal YouTube Brand Accounts is that, as alluded to above, in 2019 GWfE suspended support for Brand Accounts with a deletion date for middle of 2019 for students and with a temporary extension for staff, ie 18+ to mid-2020 which had to be applied for and be granted by November 2019.

This temporary extension was supposed to enable staff to make alternative arrangements for the transferal of ownership of Brand Accounts (and, with these, any linked YouTube channels) to non-GWfE user accounts such as personal/consumer Google Accounts or even regular Google Workspace user accounts before the Brand Accounts were to be deleted when the temporary extension ended.

But then the pandemic happened, and the cessation of the temporary extension for 18+ was halted indefinitely.  Or was it?

Because with the sudden remodelling of the relationship between GWfE and YouTube those GWfE users who still owned YouTube Brand Accounts under the temporary-but-now-indefinite extension for being 18+ suddenly were not 18+ at all.  And so, as you can imagine, their extensions, temporary or not, were null and void.

When that happened there were two distinct groups within this second group, ie the GWfE owners of YouTube Brand Accounts:
  1. Those who were sole owners of YouTube Brand Accounts without even a non-GWfE account-using manager found that their YouTube Brand Accounts were deleted.
  2. Those who were the sole owners of YouTube Brand Account which did have non-GWfE account-using managers found that the Brand Account part was disabled, not deleted.  And, instead a grey strike-through icon appears in place of the original avatar, denoting that there is an issue.
Here the second group (2. directly above), namely those with YouTube Brand Accounts sporting the grey-strike through avatars, can do one thing.  And that is to have their admin check in the admin portal that Brand Accounts are, again, enabled for the GWfE user account which has, since, been correctly set to 18+ again.  This should "restore" the Brand Account to its former state with avatar et al.  This will, I understand, not give you back access to the YouTube channel part of the YouTube Brand Account, but at least there is hope.

Another suggestion is to:

IS there a solution for GWfE YouTube Brand Account owners with deleted YouTube Brand Accounts?  I honestly have no idea.  I am asking for guidance on this and will update here when I hear back.

Personally?  I do not believe that anyone could have anticipated all the various permutations of what might go "wrong" when these updates go live;  but we live in strange times and such things happen.

But I also suspect that having had over a year and a half to make the recommended transfer of ownership may well inform the possible response I get.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (33)
Relevant Answer
Hi. Is there an actual human being over at Youtube that we can contact about this? Our School YouTube account is completely gone. In its place there is a Youtube channel (using the same school email) with my personal name on it but none of the school videos or followers.

1)  I try to add a channel and it won't let me do that - It says "Invalid Request" even though I am a Super User (and yes, have been marked as over 18). 

2) I try to manage Brand Accounts through https://myaccount.google.com/brandaccounts and get this, as does the other Super User admin: The setting you are looking for is not available for your account.

We are all dumbfounded.

This was the account:  https://www.youtube.com/c/theinternationalschool

There are links to three videos here from that account (just a few of many all over our website) that are no longer working. 

Help?? Anyone? Everything was up until about a week ago! Now we are panicking!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Katharine Simons-  what is the /channel/ URL of the deleted (because it is deleted, not just hidden) YouTube product?

But to answer your questions:
Hi. Is there an actual human being over at Youtube that we can contact about this?
No, not really.  But I can try to get you some clarity on this if I could trouble you for the /channel/ URL as the custom /c/ URL doesn't help.
Our School YouTube account is completely gone. In its place there is a Youtube channel (using the same school email) with my personal name on it but none of the school videos or followers.
That is because you created a personal YouTube channel on your Google Workspace for Education user account.
1)  I try to add a channel and it won't let me do that - It says "Invalid Request" even though I am a Super User (and yes, have been marked as over 18). 
You already have a YouTube channel and you cannot have a YouTube Brand Account (which is what adding another channel would be trying to achieve) because Google Workspace for Education does not support Brand Accounts.
2) I try to manage Brand Accounts through https://myaccount.google.com/brandaccounts and get this, as does the other Super User admin: The setting you are looking for is not available for your account.
Either you will need to enable Brand Accounts (if the extension had been applied for and granted in 2019) or accept that you cannot use Brand Accounts with Google Workspace for Education user accounts anymore.
There are links to...videos here...that are no longer working. 
Those links tell me that the YouTube product they were on was deleted and not just hidden, as per group 2) 1. discussed above.  :(
Help?? Anyone? Everything was up until about a week ago! Now we are panicking!!
If you let me have that URL, I will ask if there is any chance for recovery, but advise you that it is impossible to say (due to the fact that Google Workspace and Brand Accounts "parted company" in 2019 with the temporary extension only supposed to be in place until July 2020 to enable teachers/staff time to transfer ownership of valuable YouTube channels and their Brand Accounts off the Google Workspace for Education user accounts to either personal Google Accounts or Google Workspace ones.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks.

I had no idea we had a Brand account. We've had this channel for many years (I'd bet way before Brand accounts were even a thing) and I've been managing it since 2014. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Katharine Simons-  those URLs are not the /channel/ URLs, but if you cannot find the unique /channel/ URL I will ask with the video URLs.  As for not knowing that you had a YouTube Brand Account-  how come you were looking in Brand Accounts for it?  I ask, because it matters which it is in figuring out why it is deleted as a result of an issue with Google Workspace for Education (because if it were a personal YouTube channel then it would not have been deleted, only hidden).
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks. I was looking at the Brand Account solution because the Personal Account solution got me nowhere. I've been trying everything!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@Kat Simons-  you are now using a different Google Account to comment with and that could be a clue which may go some way to explaining why the YouTube product ended up deleted.  Because the only way that can happen is where someone with access to the owner account did it.  And that, in the case of a Google Workspace for Education user account that can be the user but also the admin.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, I have two school email addresses. But only one of them is connected to the Youtube account. The one Im using right now is not connected at all.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello. 

I recently lost access to my Google Ads and Google Analytics.I also received an invite to use my alternate email (that I posted from yesterday) as a recovery email to this main account (which manages Youtube and the the apps listed above, amoung others). Does this have anything to do with what is happening on your end? I re-authorized access to Ads and Analytics; was that ok to do?

- Kat
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi,
        I'm in a school system. Our school's  YouTube Channel disappeared from the gmail Account. It shows no channel connected to my school account. When i tried  to create a new channel for my account, an   error comes up .I tried to view the channel info its displaying " you're no longer able to access your channel due to a change in your school admin settings". Recently we haven't made any changes in the settings.

Some URLs to videos in my channel: (all of these are shown as "NOT AVAILABLE. The video is private") 

Please help! I need this channel restored as soon as possible. All the school videos for the website are on the channel! 

Please advise if there is a way this channel can be restored
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtube/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic