/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
-
8/3/19
My Channel Review and Reused Content Policy 0 Recommended Answers 17 Replies 1 Upvote
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
Channel: youtube.com/user/ClimateState

Hi, 
in January my channel was demonetized, the staff cited reused content policy. Subsequently, I've deleted about 600 videos of 925 videos at the time. I went through all the videos and deleted videos which were already uploaded before, or videos only marginal edited, for instance contained audio edits. Since then I was careful to only upload content which was not yet available on YouTube, to check this I used the YouTube search. 

Two days ago I've applied for a new review, shortly after there was a blue notification that my channel wasn't approved for monetization, but the review process is still in progress.

However, if the staff still thinks that I've breached reused content policy I want to know which content that may be, since I did a check via the search. Also, I can provide content permissions if required. There are currently 380 videos on the channel. 

I know there have been other channels uploading my videos in the past, but I have no control over those channels.
All Replies (17)
8/3/19
YouTube doesn't care about permissions.
YouTube will not inform you which videos are reused content, you should remember which videos you did not film yourself.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
8/3/19
  • Reused content. This is content that doesn’t provide significant original commentary, or educational value. It may also mean that we’ve identified that large portions of your channel either completely match other content, or are noticeably similar. Examples include:
    • Third-party videos stitched together with minimal to no changes
    • Third-party content compiled without a narrative
    • Content uploaded somewhere else first
    • Content uploaded many times by multiple users
  • Repetitious content. This is content that appears mass-produced in order to increase views without adding significant educational or other value. Examples include:
    • Synthetic voice reads third-party content or nonsensical content
    • Content on a channel with minimal changes from video to video
    • Repetitive or mindless content with no additional educational value, commentary, or narrative
    • Content that’s been mass-produced or generated programmatically
    • Image slideshows or scrolling text with minimal or no additional narrative, commentary, or educational value
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
 Since then I was careful to only upload content which was not yet available on YouTube

This is not the measurement of reused content.

The measure of reused content is whether YouTube can unambiguously tell that you created the content yourself, or that you have added significant creative value or commentary. If you have not (or it is not clear), then your channel will be at risk of demonetization.

Having permission to use other people's material isn't enough. You still have to show creative value.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
-
8/12/19
Andrew: Having permission to use other people's material isn't enough. You still have to show creative value.
So I upload a science lecture by a University professor after obtaining permissions. The talk is not yet published on YouTube, hence I am unable to reuse content, because this is unique content published exclusively. Also, adding creative value to a science lecture would be like messing around with a Picasso painting. 
Material published - with permissions, before others did, can by definition not be reused content.
Last edited 8/12/19
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
So I upload a science lecture by a University professor after obtaining permissions. The talk is not yet published on YouTube, hence I am unable to reuse content, because this is unique content published exclusively. Also, adding creative value to a science lecture is liking messing around with a Picasso painting. 

This would definitely be reused content, because *you* are not the university professor. You are reusing the university professor's content.

YouTube doesn't care that you have permission. They care that you the YouTuber are attempting to make money without you doing any work.

Similarly, *you* should not make any money off a Picasso painting.

Material published - with permissions, before others did, can by definition not be reused content.
Please see this FAQ on reused content.

Reused content is not about timing of upload. Content doesn't mean, "Things already uploaded to YouTube." The university professor's lecture is already content, and for you to upload it is reused content. Picasso is already content, and for you to upload it is reused content. From the FAQ

First, what does “Reused Content” mean?   
This means you upload content from multiple sources, or that you reupload or repurpose someone else’s existing content (ie “reuse content”). If all or most of your channel is dedicated to reused content and you’re not transforming the original work by adding your own unique value, then your channel is not eligible for the YouTube Partner Program. The spirit of this policy is to make sure we’re incentivizing unique and original content into YPP and that we’re protecting and rewarding the creators who work hard on original content.

If I have permission to reuse someone’s content on my channel, am I eligible for YPP?
Even if you have permission, you still need to add your own unique, creative value to be eligible for the YouTube Partner Program. This “Reused Content” guideline is part of the Content Quality section of YPP policies – it’s separate from YouTube’s Copyright enforcement, where an owner lets us know that they've found their content used without their permission. We’re working on updating the Reused Content messaging in Creator Studio to make this more clear and accurate.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
-
8/12/19
Andrew S - subversiveasset You still have to show creative value.
Can you point me to an example of how to present a climate science lecture in compliance with your suggested creative values?
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
So, if you were providing your own commentary video, then using other documents as reference sources to be cited would be creative. There are lots of video essays on YouTube like this.

As an example of different types of styles, the channel Kurzgesagt takes complex topics relating to science and presents "in a nutshell" animations and narrative videos. Here's one on the gulf stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGrBhK2c7U

or see MinuteEarth and Kurzgesagt's collaboration on greenhouse gases:

Keep in mind that the point here is that they are taking research that has already been performed -- but their creative value is in synthesizing this into short animated videos. 

The animations aren't necessary. So you can see a video like Veritasium's on 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming:

The important thing here is that the YouTuber is actively involved, researching, compiling, and presenting. 

Does this help distinguish?

You don't have to do exactly what these folks are doing. The point of difference is these people aren't just taking other people's presentations and videos and uploading them. They may use other people's research, but they are using it to create something new.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
-
8/12/19
Andrew S - subversiveasset If all or most of your channel is dedicated to reused content and you’re not transforming the original work by adding your own unique value, then your channel is not eligible for the YouTube Partner Program.
Reuploads with no transformation of the original work made up maybe 20 percent of my channels content. There were close to thousand videos, most edited extensively. Yet my channel did not got monetized.

There are now like 70 videos left, and 8 videos are unedited, exclusively published on the channel because we either got asked by the author to publish this content, or because we asked the author and got their permissions https://www.youtube.com/user/ClimateState/videos

There are channels which publish content from many authors such as this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/sixsigmafilms or this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/storyful yet they are monetized. 

What did Storyful or Six Sigma Films did differently, what do I have to do in order to be able to publish content from other authors and be monetized?
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
SixSigmaFilms is a film producer and distributor.

Storyful is a licensor that manages media usage rights.

Both of these organizations, as a result of representing large bodies of copyright, likely have access to the content management system or content ID. They don't *need* to be in the YouTube Partner Program because they can monetize outside of it.

So, if you want to become a representative of a large enough body of copyrighted works to gain access to content ID, then go ahead.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
In my opinion it shouldn't be the concern of YouTube to prevent making money from a science lecture a University Professor specifically asked to share, to exclusively publish for him. 
OK, that's nice, but that's not how the reviewers see things. So, whether you want to believe me or not, that is the way they will see things.

This kind of policy actually hampers the exposure of scientific content. Most content on the platform is entertainment, and YouTube works hard to keep it that way. 

And according to your input from above YouTube staff is even going after short/brief summary videos of such science content, unless the channel owner shows his face or adds his commentary in a way making him the focal point, not the University Professor. 
Yes, this seems to be the pattern. To be fair, it is possible for videos without visual presence (e.g., face) to still be monetized. BUT it's a lot more difficult to "show" presence if you're not actually, you know, in the video.

Certainly, the new rules on "reused content" favor certain styles of video making over others. But at the end of the day, you can't monetize based on reusing other people's content, even if you have permission, if you're not adding creative value. And YouTube gets to decide what counts as creative value.

At https://youtu.be/f9pH5d7vKBs?t=1284 - this is paid narration, I wrote the script, and hired someone to narrate the content. While this 32 min in length video has only a short narration, about one third of the videos on my channel are narrated by me or paid narrators.
It's uncertain whether paying someone to narrate your videos is reused content or not.

But let's assume that it works and is not reused content. I would say what you would probably want to do is make your own narrative and script much more obvious. Because it's not obvious from watching the video where your paid narration begins and where the other audio clips end. Currently, it's difficult to say what audio belongs to your 3rd party clips and what is new and added to the video.

So, I would recommend including more context in the description for videos where you have your own narrative and script.
marked this as an answer
Helpful?
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
Delete post?
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtube/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Marked as Recommended Answer
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic