/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Introducing a new way to create Shorts with audio from across YouTube 1 Recommended Answer 8 Replies 31 Upvotes
1 Update
$0 Updates
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
We recently introduced the ability for you to sample audio from other Shorts. In the coming weeks, we'll start slowly rolling out to a small group of people in the U.S. and India the ability to sample audio from videos across YouTube, so they can give their own creative spin on the content they love to watch and help find it a new audience.

How does it work?

If you’re part of the initial roll out, you’ll be able to create Shorts using audio from other videos straight from the video watch page, both for Shorts and other videos you find on YouTube. Find out more details in the Help Center.

Audio from any eligible long-form video on YouTube can be used to create a Short, and every Short that’s made with the video’s audio will be attributed and linked back to the creator’s original video from the Shorts pivot page, as shown in the example below. Linking back to your original video provides a great opportunity for new audiences to discover and engage with your content in a new way.

What if I don’t want the audio of my videos to be used for Shorts?

If you want to opt out, you can uncheck the Shorts permission box (“Allow people to sample this content”) while uploading your video, or from the video editing settings in YouTube Studio. This will also mute any existing Shorts that used your content. In the coming weeks, we’ll also add the option to bulk opt out all videos, as well as set default upload settings.

You can’t opt out of having your Shorts audio used to create other Shorts, but you can always delete your video and this will mute the audio from other Shorts that used it.

We hope this update will unlock a whole new playground of creativity for creators! To find out more about other updates to Shorts, check out this post. Let us know your feedback in the comments below!

Camilla (TeamYouTube)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (8)
Relevant Answer
Who gets the revenue for these samples?  The original music creator had better get credited fully and compensated as if the traffic had routed through their channel.  Otherwise it's just theft orchestrated by Youtube.

And why is this automatic opt-in without people being given the choice?  A simple pop-up that says "hey we've got this new feature, would you like to allow others to use your music?" would go a long way to earn trust and credibility.

And what about non-monetized channels and demonetized or ad-disabled content?  Why is their content automatically available for others to profit from?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I understand that YouTube has pledged to roll-out a batch action and default setting (to off) for shorts sharing, but only in the "coming weeks." Until then, it would appear that every video on the platform is fair game. All my videos have be set to "on" my default. According the rules laid out by YouTube, after you withdraw shorts permission, any videos made from clips of your videos will remain active for 30 days and the creators will be allowed to download (and perhaps reupload?) their short. Is this correct?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
How do I REMOVE Short Sampling on multiple (ALL) my videos? I am not interested in this feature at this time and DO NOT LIKE people using my content.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
ugh, who thought it was a good idea to automatically opt everyone in? Are you opting in corporations with access to the Content ID system? or just people who would be punished for sampling work from a video registered with the Content ID system? You are repeatedly alienating small creators and artists.  Stop, and think, and stop moving the goalposts.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is insanity. I'm a musician and *all of my videos* from the last several years are now auto opt-in? And there is no bulk option to turn it off?

What was YT thinking? This is infuriating and very very frustrating. This might be the last straw.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No announcement on the Creator Studio page? 
No choosing to opt in?
The setting is hidden behind "See more?"
No bulk option - we had to turn off this permission on every single video individually?

This is facebook-level shady. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
YouTube mobile subscribe button to instagram posts on Facebook page media link
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtube/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic