/youtube/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Remove "Watch on YouTube" Link from Embedded Videos
I am an educator who teaches online. I embed videos in a structured learning management system (LMS), to teach. I would like to limit students ability to link from my embedded instructional videos, to watching the videos on the YouTube website. I'm trying to keep students focused, in the classroom environment, as much as I possibly can. So I would like to remove the link that just started being displayed on the embedded videos. This is something new that I would like to omit. Do I need an account for educators? Should I purchase a Premium YouTube account? All my videos are categorized as "Educational." Is there code/markup I can write to remove this element from being displayed? I appreciate that YT would like to brand my videos, however it seems that not all contexts are being taken into account with regard to this design change. Thank you.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (3)
“To know what you know and know what you do not know — this then is wisdom."
Relevant Answer
Hi Kevin: the YouTube video player has the link back to the video watch page built in. It's not related to having a paid or free account. 

You can learn about the embedded player parameters here that let you change the look and behavior of the video player: 

However, there isn't any way to remove the "Watch on YouTube" link. 

You can send feedback to YouTube to let them know why you would like the option to remove that link.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Actually there is a way to remove the "Watch on YouTube" link that has just started appearing on the videos in my online classroom. 

For those who would like to remove the "Watch on YouTube" link (element) here's how to instruct your students how to do it. It's a teachable moment, let's say. There's an extension called uBlock Origin. It's also available for Firefox too. Install it. Then: 
  • On the area (around the text) in the embedded video where Google is pushing through the new "Watch on YouTube," right click. A pop-out menu will appear.
  • In the pop-out menu, choose uBlock Origin > Block element in frame... A new window will appear with the text ##.ytp-impression-link at the top. This is the element you wish to block or filter. 
  • Next, click "Create." This will create a cosmetic filter, omitting this link (element), helping your students turn their classroom, back towards a learning environment, instead of an expanded marketing opportunity for Google on every video. 

So it is possible to do, albeit a slight nuisance. I just wish Google could make a distinction between creators/educators versus striving for commercial gain, in a market in which they already own. Google is trying to make even more direct contact with students by manipulating the presentation of embedded video in my classroom? It's not as if students aren't aware that the videos are hosted on YouTube. They certainly don't need to be tempted away from my classroom.

I will be following up on this, sending feedback, because I believe this is a situation where Google has overlooked educators who use their channel for educational purposes.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Kevin: After a bit of testing, I found a way to remove the "Watch on YouTube" link from embedded videos. It's not perfect since you can't remove all YouTube branding/links but at least you can make sure the obtrusive "Watch on YouTube" button-link isn't staring your students in the face enticing them to jump to YouTube.com. 

From an SEO perspective, I find this new button-link annoying and a bit predatory so I published a article on my blog on how to remove it: https://www.seobyrvc.com/watch-on-youtube-button-may-annoy-lots-of-youtube-video-embedders. This solution also removes the video-control bar but volume can still be controlled through the playback device, of course. This may not work for you since it still leaves some YouTube branding (a less aggressive link) in the lower right corner but at least it doesn't explicitly invite viewers to watch videos on YouTube.com rather than the intended site. However, this might work well for you in conjunction with the browser extension you mention. 

It sounds like the browser extension you came up with would be based on the honor system; hard to know whether you have full compliance I would think. 

I will be adding your "educator" perspective to my article including a link to your comments here. Your point is well taken. I hadn't thought of the "student distraction" factor since my focus tends to be SEO. Good luck.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/youtube/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic