Personalized ads won’t be served on YouTube content set as made for kids in order to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and other laws. Remarketing and other personalized targeting features are also prohibited on YouTube content that is set as made for kids.
Contextual ads can be served on YouTube content set as "made for kids". These ads are based on factors like:
- The content being viewed
- The viewer’s current search
- The viewer’s general location (such as city or state)
Policies for advertisers
Advertisers may not run personalized ads on content set as made for kids.
Advertising that is intended for children or on content set as made for kids must comply with all applicable laws and regulations. It cannot:
- Be deceptive, unfair, or inappropriate for its intended audience
- Make use of any third party trackers or otherwise attempt to collect personal information
Below are some products that advertisers may not advertise on content set as made for kids:
- Media unsuitable for children: Media (Movies, TV shows, etc.) that is sensitive to show to users under the age of 13.
- Video games unsuitable for children: Electronic video games (and related accessories) that may be played on a video game console, the computer, or another electronic device such as a cell phone or tablet are prohibited if the industry rating of the game would not be suitable for audiences under the age of 13.
- Dating and relationships: Ads for dating sites, family counseling, and marital or divorce services.
- Beauty and weight loss: Products related to external personal care, fitness products relating to weight loss, weight-loss, diet and nutrition.
- Food and Beverage: Products related to consumable food and drinks are prohibited, regardless of nutrition content.
- Illegal or Regulated Products: Products that are regulated or illegal to advertise to children, including Prohibited Content and Restricted Content are prohibited. This also includes products that may pose safety risks for children.
- Political ads: Political paid ads of any kind, including information about political candidates or their policy positions, political parties, fundraising or political action committees or their agendas.
- Religious ads: Religious ads of any kind are prohibited, e.g, offers relating to religion, religious beliefs, including religious schools, religious books, etc.
- Ads related to adult content: Sexual and mature content that is intended for adult audiences and not suitable for users under the age of 13.
- Dangerous Content: Content that is dangerous and inappropriate for users under the age of 13 or that generally requires adult supervision.
- Violent Content: Violent and graphic content that is intended for adult audiences and not suitable for users under the age of 13.