The "Report" or “Report as spam or abuse” option for comments allows the community to control the number of spam comments.
Report a comment as spam
Anyone can mark a comment as spam. From the comments section of a video or channel:
- Find the comment you’d like to report as spam.
- Select More Report.
- Select Unwanted commercial content or spam and REPORT.
Creators can also report spam while reviewing comments in YouTube Studio.
Review comments held as spam
To review comments reported as spam on your videos or channel:
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left menu, select Comments.
- Choose the Held for review tab.
From the Held for review tab, you can choose to:
- Approve comments
- Remove comments
- Report comments for spam or abuse
- Hide users from your channel
Spam is content or correspondences that create a negative experience by making it difficult to find more relevant and substantive material. It can sometimes be used to indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages on YouTube.
YouTube detects spam based on the text of a comment, or by the behavior from a particular commenter. For instance, repeatedly posting comments can be detected as spam.
Uploaders have more control over comments made on their videos. They can review your comment before it’s displayed or remove it altogether. The uploader can also "unmark" a comment as spam.
What happens when a comment is reported as spam?
Can I undo marking a comment as spam?
How do I block someone from spamming my comments?
To hide someone from your channel:
- Find a comment that they’ve left on your channel or video.
- Next to the comment, select More Hide user from channel .