The take a break reminder lets you set a reminder to take a break while watching videos. The reminder will pause your video until you dismiss it or resume playing the video. This feature is available on versions 13.17+ of the YouTube app on mobile devices.
Note: For users aged 13–17 on YouTube, the take a break reminder is set to “On” by default. For users 18 or over, the default setting is “Off.” You can change this setting at any time.
Subscribe to the YouTube Viewers channel for the latest news, updates, and tips.
Set your take a break reminder:
- Tap your profile picture .
- Tap Settings .
- Tap General.
- Next to Remind me to take a break, tap the switch to On or Off .
- If switching to “On," select your Reminder frequency and tap OK.
Tip: You can also set take a break reminders by tapping your profile picture Time Watched.
When you get a reminder, you can tap Dismiss to keep watching a video. You can tap Settings to edit the reminder frequency or turn the reminder on or off.
Keep in mind:
- If you close the app, sign out, switch devices, or pause a video for more than 30 minutes, the timer will reset.
- When watching offline videos or casting from your phone, the timer doesn't run.